Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2001 Monte Carlo LS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Default 2001 Monte Carlo LS

i've got a white 2001 Monte Carlo LS 3400 nothing special in the least bit but it all that was available/affordable. i would like some better performance/hp from it with some simple touch ups. i've been thinking cold air, exhaust, and a chip or programmer but i can't find anything thattruly fits the car. now here's the question is there anything i can do to get some better performance/hp or am i just S.O.L?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Default RE: 2001 Monte Carlo LS

No performance chips, but you can get a programmer. I'm pretty sure DHP programmers will work, but I do KNOW that HPTuners will work - http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php

You might be able to pull another 10-20 HP with it.

You can also make a FenderWell Intake, purchase a ported throttlebody, and get ported exhaust manifolds and that will help increase HP.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Default RE: 2001 Monte Carlo LS

Skip the manifolds... your n/a engine won't need it... Replace from the u bend back... Meaning high flow cat. no res, and a couple of decent free flowing mufflers. Or keep the stock res and save a bit of dough.

ANY competant shop can do this for 600$ or less, depending on the popularity and location. You'll love the power, mileage, and definitely the sound you gain. One note, without a resonater you will get more interior sound... You can compensate with louder music... or by having them wrap the portion that replaces the resonator with a little header wrap. nother 50$ for the material... nother thought... do it yourself and save labor.... it's repetitive boring work and definitely doesn't require a genious, or a welder. Just two hands, and some time.

Take a peek at a stock dyno of the 3400, the reduced backpressure can change the peak torqe latter in the RPM range, so if it's really close to the redline already, you might think about keeping the stock res... that will help reduce how much it is changed.

Note, header wrap smokes at first.You might get some looks. A good long extended drive (like a few hours) should help make sure it's good and burned off. Once it's burned off some hi-tempexhaust Manifold paint will help keep crap from getting stuck up there and burning.

From there, intake. something as simple as a K and N drop-in will help, but an actual intake won't hurt.

You can find em on ebay shipped for less than 100$ easily. They might not be cold air intakes, but at least it's a start.

If you're not happy, get her plugged in and tuned up. Just don't skimp on the fuel. Trust me, even if Premium is 50 cents more a gallon 10$ more a tank isn't gonna kill you. You'll get more power out of the tune, and if you actually get your own programmermodule, you can re-set it if you decide that putting in Premium is too expensive.

I just wish we had the modules like you can get for diesel engines... heck, they promise 100 HP and 150 ft-lbs guaranteed from a little computer!? How in the ..... I mean, I gotta get me a classic Monte and stick in one of those duramax's I've seen done... (or is it a Cummins... that one on u-tube) that would be one mean ride... 350 HP and 400 ft-lbs of torque?Makes youwanna see a monte pull a F-150 out of the ditch!

Wow, did I get off subject... oh well, thirsty thursday it is.....