Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

1999 MC need help 3 problems/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Default 1999 MC need help 3 problems/suggestions

Hello guys, I have a 1999 MC with 161,000 Miles. Earlier this week it would start then act like it wanted to stall. My service engines soon light came on took it in misfire on multi. cylinders. I changed the plugs and wires for the first time in its life. It runs now But I want to get rid of some other minor problems while im in the do it myself mood.

Problem 1. My anti-lock brake light is on and wont go off. This only happened after the sparkplug change.

Problem 2. My car sometimes maybe 7 times a week when I start it up will idle all the way down like at 500 or lower rpm then up to sometimes 1500 rpm. It will do this fora minute or less, then level off. Sometime on the rare occasion it will idle all the way down and stall and then it is difficult to get it started again.

Problem 3. My left turn signal light is on all the time now. It will only go off like during the day before the lights kick on. When the road lights kick on the left turn signal will stay on all the time. Its funny when my left turn signal is working during the day all my interior stuff that has light will blink to the tune of my turn signal.

Also any suggestions on any more maint. I should do since it is a high mileage car would be a greatly appreciated. I want to keep this car as long as I can because its my baby.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:41 AM
Default RE: 1999 MC need help 3 problems/suggestions

Ok hang in there... we will help you thru.

1) sounds like you could have bumped the connector to the ABS module or wire some where... these generation cars also have a common prob of a bad wheel sensor. but your issue sound more to me like you might have disconnected something when doing the plugs or maybe moved a wire and it melted on the exhaust.

2) the simptoms sound like a vac leak... the fact that they go away after the car warms up leads me to think that it is an intake gasket leak. cause as the motor heats up the parts expand and seal the leak. solution.... get new intake gasket and replace it.

3) you have a crossed wire somewhere. or a missing ground wire. i would personally check in the trunk around the rear lights, and if you have had the dash apart, i would look in around where the headlight switch is..... one check you can do is to pull the interior light fuse and see if the interior lights still flash. if so you can start pulling fuses like from the turnsignals and brake lights to see which circut is feeding the power. if you need further help after that send me a personal message if you need help with circut diagrams

as for other things to do:
-thermostat switch to a 180* stats
-fuel filter
-remove the injectors and clean them physically with a Qtip and some carp cleaner... replace with new o-rings
-VERY IMPORTANT!!! replace the o-rings on the fuel rail where the lines meet the engine. i have seen many 3800 motors burnt at the junk yard and they are all from leaking fuel lines... this should have been a recall. i picked them up at autozone or advance auto in the HELP section there will be four of them 2 3/8's and 2 3/16's i might be wrong about the 3/16"s might be 5/16"s not 100% but there werent many choices... these are a brownish rubber designed for fuel. normal rubber will melt.
- trany fluid and filter. i dont recomend flushing cause it will wash the seals and cold expose leaks. a new filter and new fluid is best.