Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

1995 monte ls starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Default 1995 monte ls starting issues

i just bought a 1995 monte carlo ls, it has the 3.1 sfi v6 motor, automatic, 88,000 miles rounded up. yesterday 2-15-13, i test drove the car and loved it, never noticed any problems other than a bad strut im not to worried about yet. i drove around for a few hours doing my daily stuff. stopped to eat and came out and the car would not start. im in wisconsin and it was pretty cold last night and it was parked on a downhill slope. when i tried to start the car, it just made a click but would not turn over. i tapped on the starter with a hammer gentely, wouldnt turn over. the starter is only 1 year old also its a duralast from autozone. i got the car home via trailer and started googling and trying things, ill list what i have done and the results.

light tested all fused inside and under hood with tester - good the only fuse with no power was the #11 starter relay fuse, only lit up when you tried to start the car

checked every single fuse inside car even ones not linked to the starter or ignition - good

checked every single fuse and relay i could in 2 fuse blocks under hood - good

jump start - didnt turn over

jumped starter - started for few seconds and turned off on its own

pulled starter out and had it tested 2 places 3 times each - good

put starter back in and did a light test, tested power and works, ignition wire on starter did not light up when trying to start car

ran a wire from starter relay fuse, from inside the cars fuse block, directly to the starters ignition wire connection and it turned over, so all i can come up with is the ignition wire from the starter to the fuse block is dead some where, does this sound right?

also dont know if it makes a difference but, the trunk remote and inside button do not release trunk anymore since this problem started.