Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

02 monte problem - engine swap from 3.4 to 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX
A case learn won't impact anything here. You need to perform a security re-learn on the vechile. Do this (straight from ZZP's website):

A case learn is a good idea AFTER getting the car running- a case learn will synchronize your PCM with your cam and crank position sensors and can be performed with HP Tuners or at a dealership with a Tech II.
this the part in which I am stuck; the security light never stops flashing,

I have since contacted the customer and asked him to provide me with the original bcm for the vehicle to attempt to relearn the VTD or security relearn.

I have also informed him that the pcm with need to be programed with his vin and the calibrations for a NA 3800 engine. I have forwarded the names of the places that where thoughtfully provided and he is contacting them to have his pcm programmed. This may take a little while but once things are finished I will provide my results. Thanks for the help

Old 09-25-2019, 05:43 PM
Default 3.4l to 3.8l S/C swap

Hello everyone I’m writing here because I also have a customer that has a 2001 Monte Carlo with a blown up 3400 motor. I have a 2005 Monte Carlo with the 3.8l supercharger at my shop that came in for a heater core a couple years ago and the owner has since gave up on it and signed it over to me. So I had the great idea of selling him the entire car for $500 bucks and swapping the 3.8 into his 3.4 Monte. I’ve just started checking around to see how hard it is and what all has to be brought over from the donor car. It doesn’t seem that difficult from what I have seen so far. The A/C lines are going to be a problem I think. Also the fuel lines are going to have to be cut and the fuel rail fittings will need to be changed...(I think). This is one of those projects that you just need both cars right next to each other and just dive in!! If anyone knows any good sites or anywhere to get some good info on this 3.4 to 3.8 s/c motor swap I would really appreciate it. I’m also very curious to what happens with the car in this post... I wish you guys the best of luck with it. Didn’t mean to high jack your post I am new to this forum thing and don’t know how to use this thing yet. I saw a very similar swap to the one I’m about to attempt and was hoping for some good info. Thanks again and good luck!!