Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

02 monte problem - engine swap from 3.4 to 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Default 02 monte problem - engine swap from 3.4 to 3.8

I have a customer who's 3.4l monte blew the engine. They then decided to swap in a 3.8l from an unknown year and model. My problem is that now this vehicle has been dropped off at my shop where i work and I'm supposed to get this thing running for them.

I've repaired a bunch of damaged wiring and such. But now am stuck at the point where I can't get the security system (passlock 2) to stop flashing to attempt to relearn the key data. it will stay flashing untill the battery dies.

I think they used they correct engine wiring harness; at least it looks like a 3.8l engine wiring harness.

I know they have swapped the Pcm and Bcm in the car for the ones that went with the engine, i'm attempting to have them supply me with the ones that originally came with the car

Has anyone here done such a thing? and could you help me to help them because I can't get this stupid light to stop flashing to even begin to crank this thing over to see if it even runs

thanks

Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 PM

Sorry I cant personaly help here. I just wanna say give it a little bit and theres some really knowledgable people here that will most likely give you the answers you need.
Anyway, I wanna see what happens also.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:52 AM

Try motorswap.org they're a lot of ppl on that site that put the gm 3800 engine in almost anything especially the l67(3.8. Supercharged) i had a problem w/my security system too,but i brought my monte to the dealer to have it reapaired when i worked at a chevy dealer in 08 & 09 i used to ask a lot of questions a mechanic there told me that once another bcm is put into a different car the bcm has to be reprogrammed at the dealer,but i dont kno how truthful he was being but i hope u get it str8 good luck!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by teamfbody
Try motorswap.org they're a lot of ppl on that site that put the gm 3800 engine in almost anything especially the l67(3.8. Supercharged) i had a problem w/my security system too,but i brought my monte to the dealer to have it reapaired when i worked at a chevy dealer in 08 & 09 i used to ask a lot of questions a mechanic there told me that once another bcm is put into a different car the bcm has to be reprogrammed at the dealer,but i dont kno how truthful he was being but i hope u get it str8 good luck!
I know for a fact that a bcm can only be programed once; stupid but thats the way the general does things; that is, programed for a certain vehicle

Old 06-09-2010, 08:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like they just swapped the PCM but never got the VIN# flashed to it.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Sounds like they just swapped the PCM but never got the VIN# flashed to it.
i believe that is what has happened, however i'm looking for guidance as to anything else that will need to be addressed with this project.

Also looking for a recommendation as to someone or some company to perform this flashing for me

Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

HPTuners can do the PCM tuning, and you'll need a Tech-II tool for the BCM

Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 AM

"i believe that is what has happened, however i'm looking for guidance as to anything else that will need to be addressed with this project.

Also looking for a recommendation as to someone or some company to perform this flashing for me"

Try Brian @ Intense or hit up ZZP, Turbo Tim or Zoomer could help you. Also do you know if case learn was performed??? It's a 30 min procedure involving a series of turning the key in the ignition IIRC...

Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 AM

A case learn won't impact anything here. You need to perform a security re-learn on the vechile. Do this (straight from ZZP's website):

1. Disconnect battery
2. Install new computer
3. Reconnect battery
4. Put emergency brake on to disable daytime running lights (this step is required!)
5. Make sure all doors trunk and hood are closed leave driver window down and reach in threw window
6. Try to start. If it doesn't start, leave the key in the on position for 10 min on 97-03 cars and 15 min for 04 and newer cars. The security light should turn off after this amount of time.
7. Turn off ignition for 3 seconds
8. Try and start the car. It probably won't start. Repeat step 5 two more times.
9. If this doesn't work disconnect battery for 5 seconds and then try and start the car.

If that doesnt work, try this one:

1. Disconnect battery for 10 sec.
2. Reconnect battery
3. Turn key to ON position
4. Do not try to start vehicle, just quickly click to RUN position to engage security light
5. Let vehicle sit with key ON for 35 min.
6. Attempt to crank vehicle. Once vehicle is running, the security light may still be on
7. If security light is still on, turn key to OFF position for 5 sec.
8. Turn key to ON position and security light should turn off
9. Start vehicle and enjoy new PCM

A case learn is a good idea AFTER getting the car running- a case learn will synchronize your PCM with your cam and crank position sensors and can be performed with HP Tuners or at a dealership with a Tech II.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 PM

Correct, I was mistaken with the names. Case learn should be done after...Your direction are small so I'm reposting from another website. Had to do it when I changed PCM's...

Powertrain Control Module Security Relearn Procedure

On some vehicles (Bonneville, Regal, Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS, and 2004+ Grand Prix) it will be necessary to perform this Security Relearn Procedure before the car can be started. No tools are required to complete this procedure and it can be accomplished 30 to 45 minutes after the PCM is initially installed. You must complete the procedure without opening any of the vehicle doors or trunk. It's best to open the drivers window and reach inside the vehicle to complete the learn procedure.

For Bonneville, Regal, Impala, and Monte Carlo vehicles 1997-2004 and Cobalt, ION 2004-2006:

Set the parking brake to disable the daytime running lights system to avoid draining the vehicles battery.
Try to start the vehicle by turning the key to the START position (using a Master Pass-Key key, not a Valet key). Allow the key to fall back into the ON position. DO NOT TURN THE KEY TO THE OFF POSITION.
Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard or driver information center. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the first time.
Turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.
Try to start the vehicle by turning the key to the START position (using a Master Pass-Key key, not a Valet key). Allow the key to fall back into the ON position. DO NOT TURN THE KEY TO THE OFF POSITION.
Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard or driver information center. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the first time.
Start the vehicle.
For 2004 Grand Prix only:

Set the parking brake to disable the daytime running lights system to avoid draining the vehicles battery.
Try to start the vehicle by turning key to the START position (using a Master Pass-Key key, not a Valet key).
Observe the SECURITY telltale on the driver information center. Allow the key to fall back into the ON position. DO NOT TURN THE KEY TO THE OFF POSITION.
After no less than fifteen minutes turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.
Try to start the vehicle by turning key to the START position (using a Master Pass-Key key, not a Valet key).
Observe the SECURITY telltale on the driver information center. Allow the key to fall back into the ON position. DO NOT TURN THE KEY TO THE OFF POSITION.
After no less than fifteen minutes turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.
Start the vehicle.

Quick Reply: 02 monte problem - engine swap from 3.4 to 3.8