Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

windshield polish

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default windshield polish

Is there a special wax to clean your windshields and windows ? I have a 2000 SS and when I wash it is seems that the windshield isn't clean. I think it's from the road grime . I was wondering if anybody knew of a wax to clean the windshield ?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Default RE: windshield polish

When cleaning glass there's not much you can do, first, use some old newspaper, or some real lint-free paper towels.

Personally I used Stoners (its a brand, seriously, available at oreillys, pep boys, any auto store, even wal mart)
they call it "invisible glass" because it really does clean that well.

Do both the inside, and outside... if you can see anything, maybe let it set a bit longer, or use extra washer so you have to scrub a bit longer to finish off the cleaner.

If there's still gunk leftover it's probably a "film" that has developed due to water spots from hard water, or just long term neglect that has eventually etched into the glass. Glass may be hard, but it can be cut by something as simple as a grain of dirt/sand. Enough dirt being pushed around on the wiper, and it will leave marks.

If you find therehas beendamage done, you will have to find an actual glass-polish. Not easy to find, and not many work really well without lots of elbow grease, but they do exist.

It won't be perfect, but it should help.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:19 PM

I have used NU-Glass 755 made by Duragloss, it does really good on water spots and so on, now you do need some elbow grease but it works.I done all my glass and they look good.. now i used stoners glass cleaner which i think is the best going,my views which works for me.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:25 PM

Hi `Joe, and Welcome to the MCF
I hope that the below information/link helps you see things better
out of the windows of your Monte Carlo
[:-]

[IMG]http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1974_46244378" width=200 align=left border=0>High quality microfiber is micro-engineered to eliminate lint and is extraordinarily absorbent to prevent streaking.

One hand tool that’s well worth a try is
Glass Master Pro-Glass and Surface Cleaner. This long-armed glass scrubber can help you your SUV windshield and those hard to get at top of the cab windows or your sunroof.

Clean By Numbers

[ol][*]Detail your vehicle. Glass should be the last thing you do to avoid re-contaminating it during the detailing process.

[*]Work out of the sun on dry windows. The sun can cause glass cleaner to evaporate too quickly and leave residues.

[*]Spend some extra time on your windshield because you look though it more than the rest of the windows. Lightly dampen your microfiber towel with your cleaner of choice. We highly recommend DP Krystal Vision Glass Cleaner for its non-streaking, film-zapping performance. Wipe up and down and then side to side using long strokes. Flip the towel to a dry side to remove any remaining wetness from the windshield. Do the same on the back window.

[*]Be sure to roll down your windows about half way so you can clean the top edges of the glass.

[*]Whether you clean all of your inside or outside glass first, or if you favor the window-by-window approach, that is your preference.

[*]You can’t always get it right the first time. It may take a mist of glass cleaner to remove stubborn film and then another cleaning with plain water to remove any streaks created by the film. It all depends on exactly what is on your glass. Don’t be afraid to use more than one cleaner on the same window, if that’s what it takes.

[*]When you clean the inside of the back window, it may be helpful to use the backside of your hand to hold the towel against the lower edge of the glass. This technique will allow you to reach the bottom of the glass with greater ease. This is the perfect application of the Glass Master Pro Glass and Surface Cleaner. It can reach any spot on your windows and take it OUT! [/ol]Water Spot Eliminators

Water spots are mineral deposits that have etched their way into the paint and they can be very tough to remove. When a drop of water evaporates, all the minerals contained in that water remain on the paint. Etching is a gradual process, but those little spots will accumulate before you know it. The best way to avoid them is to dry your vehicle each and every time it gets wet. If that sounds too ambitious, at least dry it after washing and after a rain. If it’s already too late, here are some tips for removing those cloudy spots.

Glass can take a polish just like paint. A quality glass polish like
DP High Performance Glass Restorer will remove water spots and cloudiness to restore perfect clarity to your windows. You can apply it by hand or with a polisher, but set your machine on a low speed (1000-1200 RPM on a [URL=http://ww