Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

While I ordered my 7424

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default While I ordered my 7424

My Porter Cable 7424, with Backing Plate, and of course, Lake Country Pads (Yellow,Orange, Green, White, Black, Blue) are offically on there way (order confirmed).

I'm excited folks. I love my DeWalt Rotary, but the 7424 is far safer and has almost the same capabilities. The perfect machine for me to work on other people's car. I sure would hate to accidently burn the paint on someone else's car.

I also boughttwo tri-podswith four500W Halogens to assure I have adequate light.

Tomorrowis the first day of business for CRAIG'S FLAWLESS DETAILING. A way for me to earn extra money for my toyz... without dipping into the household money!

I have $400 worth lined up this weekend and $300 already for next weekend.

But I may do two Showcars (the guy nextdoor buys and sells classic cars for R&M-- top of the line cars, like1963 Impala, 1967 Corvette, 1955 Chevy, 1965 GTO, 1969Z28 Camero, etc.) for FREE to prove to him -- and myself -- I can handle doing top-of-the-line cars. If I can make couple of his cars glow, then I know I will get a lot of work from him and his friends. Scary... Because I know if I oops one of them... $$$$$ to re-paint - reason for the 7424... No Oops!!! Right now,Chuck has a 1963 Red (White Trim) Impala Convertible, and a Dark Blue Metal Flake 1965 Chevy II sitting in his garage, and a pale yellow 1964 Convertible Caprice with white leather interior sitting outside. Everything 100% original stock. You guys would love his cars. He has original window stickers, magazine covers, magazine articles, etc., where these cars have appeared in, and ownership certification, etc., so that you know everything about the car from the second it rolled off the assembly line.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Default RE: While I ordered my 7424

ORIGINAL: BLACK ATTACK

My Porter Cable 7424, with Backing Plate, and of course, Lake Country Pads (Yellow,Orange, Green, White, Black, Blue) are offically on there way (order confirmed).

I'm excited folks. I love my DeWalt Rotary, but the 7424 is far safer and has almost the same capabilities. The perfect machine for me to work on other people's car. I sure would hate to accidently burn the paint on someone else's car.

I also boughttwo tri-podswith four500W Halogens to assure I have adequate light.

Tomorrowis the first day of business for CRAIG'S FLAWLESS DETAILING. A way for me to earn extra money for my toyz... without dipping into the household money!

I have $400 worth lined up this weekend and $300 already for next weekend.

But I may do two Showcars (the guy nextdoor buys and sells classic cars for R&M-- top of the line cars, like1963 Impala, 1967 Corvette, 1955 Chevy, 1965 GTO, 1969Z28 Camero, etc.) for FREE to prove to him -- and myself -- I can handle doing top-of-the-line cars. If I can make couple of his cars glow, then I know I will get a lot of work from him and his friends. Scary... Because I know if I oops one of them... $$$$$ to re-paint - reason for the 7424... No Oops!!! Right now,Chuck has a 1963 Red (White Trim) Impala Convertible, and a Dark Blue Metal Flake 1965 Chevy II sitting in his garage, and a pale yellow 1964 Convertible Caprice with white leather interior sitting outside. Everything 100% original stock. You guys would love his cars. He has original window stickers, magazine covers, magazine articles, etc., where these cars have appeared in, and ownership certification, etc., so that you know everything about the car from the second it rolled off the assembly line.
Just for clarification, a 7424 doesn't have even almost the same capabilities as a rotary. The 7424 is a nice machine but it's corrective abilities are limited to moderate swirls/marring at best. While it can remove moderate imperfections, it will take alot longer to do so and your pad/product selection is even more important than with a rotary. I normally use my rotary for moderate/heavy correction and then do the rest of the polishing/finishing with the PC.

What type of pads are you getting? Variable contact? Flat? Closed Cell Structure? I had the VC pads at first and they were alright, then I tried the CCS pads and while they were better than the VC pads I was able to get better results with the flat pads. This is in regards to cutting power/swirl removal. But I do like the CCS pads for polishing and finishing.

Another light you might want to consider getting is a Brinkmann Dual Xenon, it will help you see the micomarring/halograms alot better than the Halogens. And it's portable too!

What products do you have? Product selection will make or break your details.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

What type of pads are you getting? Variable contact? Flat? Closed Cell Structure? I had the VC pads at first and they were alright, then I tried the CCS pads and while they were better than the VC pads I was able to get better results with the flat pads. This is in regards to cutting power/swirl removal. But I do like the CCS pads for polishing and finishing.

Another light you might want to consider getting is a Brinkmann Dual Xenon, it will help you see the micomarring/halograms alot better than the Halogens. And it's portable too!

I have a DeWalt Rotary with Wool, Flat & waffle CCS pads. With the 7424, I ordered the Lake Country waffle CCS. If I need to repair, I will use the rotary, but to remove basic swirls, spiderweb, and to finish I will use the 7424.

What I want for lighting is LPDI's 280 (8'x3' fluorescent light banks)

Right now, I have huge quantities of Meguiars. At work they use Auto Magic, but I am developing a list of products that I personally like. So... in the end, I will be using my custom list of products that I feel make my car look its best, so it should make your car look its best (Meguiars, Mothers, S100, 3M, AutoMagic, Liquid Glass, etc.).

I will do everyone's car or truck like I do my own, like it is my own. Your car becomes MY Car, and I will not treat it any different.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: BLACK ATTACK

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

I have a DeWalt Rotary with Wool, Flat & waffle CCS pads. With the 7424, I ordered the Lake Country waffle CCS. If I need to repair, I will use the rotary, but to remove basic swirls, spiderweb, and to finish I will use the 7424.

What I want for lighting is LPDI's 280 (8'x3' fluorescent light banks)

Right now, I have huge quantities of Meguiars. At work they use Auto Magic, but I am developing a list of products that I personally like. So... in the end, I will be using my custom list of products that I feel make my car look its best, so it should make your car look its best (Meguiars, Mothers, S100, 3M, AutoMagic, Liquid Glass, etc.).

I will do everyone's car or truck like I do my own, like it is my own. Your car becomes MY Car, and I will not treat it any different.
Yeah, sounds like you'll be using your PC the same as I do mine. Initially it sounded like you were thinking the PC would replace your rotary.

It sounds to me like you want to use your PC as much as possible to eliminate the possibility of burning the paint on a client's car (which is way too easy to do, especially on plastic), that being said you might want to consider buying some HiTemp Extreme Cut leveler. That stuff, along with an orange cutting pad, makes easy work of light to moderate swirls. Just don't use it on SS paint though cause while it will work just the same, it's a PITA to work with. But on BC/CC paint, it's a godsend.

I'm like you, when I take on someone's car, paying or not, I treat it just as I would my own. I can't see doing it any other way.