Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

What a clay bar can do for you.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:52 PM

time for 3M and a buffer.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
It won't get out swirl marks - a buffer is the only thing that will get out swirl marks.
x2
Originally Posted by Montelicious
I want an aggressive one since she is black and her paint was neglected when I first got her from her original owner. I know she really needs it. Or should I just start off with a meguiars one or the blue one? Which one do you think better for neglected black? lol Will it help get out swirl marks too?
I would start off with the meguries first, if that dosnt work then i would look into a professional detailer.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 PM

clay bar makes it look so good but it takes so damn long. i will just stick with many coats of wax!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by z34_98blue
clay bar makes it look so good but it takes so damn long. i will just stick with many coats of wax!
That wont do you any good if you paint is rough. Do you really want to wax/seal all that nastyness in your paint? Beside you claybar after you wash.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

What i learned when i worked managing a paint store is that ALL the bars are made by only one manufacturer ( straight from the Clay Magic Rep ). Clay Magic. They sell them to everyone else, but only sell them "WATERED DOWN" versions, if you know what i mean.

I have always used the blue bar and never use the lubricant that came with it. instead, i always used car soap ( another trick i learned from the same rep ).

Use the Blue bar for light claying and the red bar for heavy stuff.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Would the heavy stuff be baked in insect carcasses???

Old 07-26-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
I use the blue Clay Magic kit and that seems to work for me. BTW clay barring strips the wax off so you need to be prepared to wax the car afterwards.
Yep, any clay will do. Just gotta be careful and make sure you don't get the aggressive stuff cause it'll leave micro-marring behind. On this board a lot of people just wax after claying, I always polish afterwards to make sure any/all marring and/or contaminants are removed from the paint before I wax.

Originally Posted by Montelicious
I want an aggressive one since she is black and her paint was neglected when I first got her from her original owner. I know she really needs it. Or should I just start off with a meguiars one or the blue one? Which one do you think better for neglected black? lol Will it help get out swirl marks too?
Whenever detailing, ALWAYS start with the least aggressive product first. Using a bar with heavier abrasives in it, especially on black, is a good way to ensure that you're gonna put more scratches/swirls in your paint. No, clay doesn't remove swirls unfortunately.

Originally Posted by z34_98blue
I dunno man, i've never known clay to make a car look any better by itself. Kinda why this thread threw me for a loop.

Originally Posted by The Popcorn King
What i learned when i worked managing a paint store is that ALL the bars are made by only one manufacturer ( straight from the Clay Magic Rep ). Clay Magic. They sell them to everyone else, but only sell them "WATERED DOWN" versions, if you know what i mean.

I have always used the blue bar and never use the lubricant that came with it. instead, i always used car soap ( another trick i learned from the same rep ).
That could be true, but I'd need to see proof of that to believe it. After all, it came from a sales rep. I use car wash soap sometimes too, it's lubrication properties are as good if not better than QD and because you have to dilute it heavily in order to use it as lube it costs a lot less to make a bottle of lube with car wash than it does to buy a bottle of QD.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:32 PM

I never heard of clay bar before I read your posting last night, so I did a little more research ( thanks for the links Space!) and first thing this morning I went and purchased a kit and hit the garage for a couple of hours...amazing!!!, I"ll be doing my Suburban tommorow!!.. Thanks for the tip!!

Old 08-29-2010, 04:16 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turtl...s#ht_685wt_939

Anyone have an opinion on this liquid clay bar?

Old 08-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hmmmm, that looks interesting.....

Quick Reply: What a clay bar can do for you.