Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

VHT Nightshades VS. Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks good. How well does the light come through when the car is in reverse? Not that you need the light to see. But are they bright enough that others will be able to recognize that you're in reverse?

I want to get a spare set of stock tail lights and reverse lenses so I can do the same. I just don't want some idiot claiming he couldn't tell I was in reverse.

Oh, yeah.... I do know that Nightshades gets darker with each coat. Just wondering if 2 coats is okay or not.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:40 PM
3 Year Member

The light doesn't really come through that much to illuminate anywhere. I might get some brighter bulbs back there if possible. Others will notice that you're in reverse, I think at least. They shined up alright earlier. Granted, I don't think its legal to change the output of the lights on your car. So when that idiot hits you when you're in reverse, he might beable to pin it on you.

I'd say skip getting the spares and just go for it. If you screw up, you're going to have to buy another set anyway. But if you do it perfect the first time, no sense in having spent the money on a backup set.

The reverse light were really really easy.

I have two coats on the reverse lights now and they're a much dark. I wouldn't go more than one coat on the taillights. Unless you'd be putting it on some LED lights.

Hmm...

Anyone know if you can get an LED bulb cluster to fit an 06 Monte's brake lights?

Thanks for the nice words everyone.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by irulesoha
The light doesn't really come through that much to illuminate anywhere. I might get some brighter bulbs back there if possible. Others will notice that you're in reverse, I think at least. They shined up alright earlier. Granted, I don't think its legal to change the output of the lights on your car. So when that idiot hits you when you're in reverse, he might beable to pin it on you.

I'd say skip getting the spares and just go for it. If you screw up, you're going to have to buy another set anyway. But if you do it perfect the first time, no sense in having spent the money on a backup set.

The reverse light were really really easy.

I have two coats on the reverse lights now and they're a much dark. I wouldn't go more than one coat on the taillights. Unless you'd be putting it on some LED lights.

Hmm...

Anyone know if you can get an LED bulb cluster to fit an 06 Monte's brake lights?

Thanks for the nice words everyone.
brakes or reverse? you can get them for the reverse with no problems, but the brakes you will need something because the leds dont use as much power so it displays as a bulb out and will blink like a fuse is blown.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:58 AM

Looking good.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. But I kinda changed my mind now. I wouldn't want to do just the reverse lights. I'd want to do the tails and reverse lights.

But the thread in the Off Topic section (about the G8 with tinted tails) got me to thinking about the potential problem with tinting taillights. If some idiot rear ends me, even if it was completely his fault (texting, eating, etc.), he can easily get out of it by telling the cops it was because of my tinted tail lights. I'd be charged for illegal tail lights, my car smashed up, and my insurance would go up. Meanwhile Mr. Text Message would walk away laughing.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Looks nice, but I like being able to see what's behind me. lol

Go get Sylvania Silverstar reverse bulbs.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Depends on how dark they are. Mine will show up from the flash of the camera so no one can claim they can't see my brake lights. (Even had a cop follow me until I hit my brakes then he turned off.)

Attached Thumbnails VHT Nightshades VS. Reverse Lights-picture-073.jpg  
Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. But I kinda changed my mind now. I wouldn't want to do just the reverse lights. I'd want to do the tails and reverse lights.

But the thread in the Off Topic section (about the G8 with tinted tails) got me to thinking about the potential problem with tinting taillights. If some idiot rear ends me, even if it was completely his fault (texting, eating, etc.), he can easily get out of it by telling the cops it was because of my tinted tail lights. I'd be charged for illegal tail lights, my car smashed up, and my insurance would go up. Meanwhile Mr. Text Message would walk away laughing.
hey taz ... you can see here that the light shows up well enough without hitting the brakes to still be completely visible even at distance ... ive seen plenty of cars in traffic that were nowhere near as bright untinted as mine are tinted ... but when you mash that stop pedal ... the entire housing lights up and only people that know how bright they were before can really tell that youve done anything to them at all ...

mind you this was really dark ... like 5-6 good coats ... my problem is not night time at all ... its daytime in direct light but the same can be said for tinted or untinted ...

i left the section cut out to spare the side markers and the larger circular lamp for the turn signals ... i wouldnt dare do my reverse lights and as a matter of fact i have a perfect story as to why you shouldnt ... it was raining cats and dogs here the other day ... and on my home down 83 ... 45 mph highway ... there was a section that i dared not put the monte through because it was just too damn deep ... i saw a cobalt ss hit it at about 20 mph and steam up from the exhaust and discs ... well long story short, i had to back up down the road in order to turn around and i was more than glad that my reverse lights were still visible

in case you cant tell ... that normally is a parking lot ... nearly a foot and a half deep in the middle

Old 12-17-2014, 07:18 PM

nice job man looks good