Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

tinting/painting tails question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Default tinting/painting tails question

I've seen a lot of cars with tinted tails. I was considering buying VHT nightshade and some clear coat and go at it with that, but then I saw some cars that "tinted" their tails/headlamps the same color as the car. Now I know my car is Galaxy Silver Metallic (I have the number at home where the car is), is there some kind of tint or paint I can get in which to do the same? The hidden-like tails attracted my attention more than just the tinted, so I would like to try that route. Anyone know how to go about it? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Default RE: tinting/painting tails question

if you can get stained glass paint that will do the trick, but i doubt its in your color. now as far as the vht do NOT clear coat it because it will look like ***. just check my sig, my vht is almost a year old and no clear coat and it still looks good as hell

Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 PM

Painting silver cars is very hard to match. As far as the VHT goes, I used to own a grand am, and on some grand am forum there was a tutorial and they used clear coat just to give it that more "wet" or shiny look you could call it.

I don't like to use other people's pictures without their consent, but here is a good example of what I mean: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2788943 It does look like the light is slightly dimmer, but I'm sure with some brighter bulbs or LEDs it would come out closer to stock brightness. Of course, the lack of reflectors may be illegal, but every other ricer in the city has blacked out tails to the extreme.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:16 PM

I used clear on my Jeep and I love it. You can also make your own tint paint by mixing black with clear. Thats nice because it can be as dark as you want it to be.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 PM

the vht works great if its prepped and painted properly. you have to have a very clean surface(free of lint and contaminants) for it to satisfy me. very, very light coats at first. i am assuming the painted tails/lamps were onred, blue, green, etc,..cars...., not whites, silvers, grays.the colored tint is prollycandy paint. it is naturally transparent and on clear tails looks great. there isn't a candy silver. you could however reduce the silver to a degree of transparency of your choice and get a mild metallic sparkle on them but too much and its gonna cover them up.