Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Steering wheel buttons

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I used Armor-All on mine for years.

Now I use a leather cleaner for the inside of my car, but it's still technically armor-all, I haven't had any issues with peeling.
Really? That's the only thing I ever used on mine & they peeled like crazy. There's nothing else I can think of for why they peeled. For a long time I couldn't even use them because I had an aftermarket radio without the modulator. The only other thing I can think of is the midwest winters, but I don't think that's it.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by coolfonz
Really? That's the only thing I ever used on mine & they peeled like crazy. There's nothing else I can think of for why they peeled. For a long time I couldn't even use them because I had an aftermarket radio without the modulator. The only other thing I can think of is the midwest winters, but I don't think that's it.
I LOATHE armor all.. it eats the white paint off of every Chevrolet plastic I've ever used it on. I refuse to use the stuff. i use this stuff my grand-pap got for his Harley seats/leather. it's got lanolin in it and has worked fantastically on every vehicle I've owned.. I'll have to look again and see what it's called. he said it isn't cheap for the bottle but you don't need much of it. That lanolin seems to go far with just a little bit of it.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

I still can't get past that dumb first step (I even went to the chevy dealership & got their instructions on how to do it) so Mike and I just popped the top of the buttons off, sanded them down, and painted them matte black grille paint. It's a bummer that I still don't have the nice ones on but these look pretty good for now. I'll post pics up later

Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Spin Em, I ALWAYS use the "Adhesion Promoter" before I paint any Plastic or Vinyl items. This will insure a long lasting bond to the painted surface. Look for it, usually located right next to the spray paints for vinyl / plastic items at your local auto parts store. It is in a spray can also. You have a sweet Monte, hope the car show went VERY well for you!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My buttons have the same missing paint problem (been that way since I bought my Monte in '08). One common cause can be people with long finger nails.
I got a donor set going on at a later date/time from the junk yard. CAN'T WAIT so they will look right again!

BTW - Taking air bag off is not hard. Once you get the back of wheel off, the bag is "clipped" in. To pop it out, you just need to use something like a small flat head screw driver to push/pull the wire, which releases the clips for the air bag). Once I get the back plate for the steering wheel out of the way, it takes about 2-5 minutes to get the air bag moved out and buttons removed.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:20 PM

Thanks, I'll be posting a thread on the show soon. Mike & I got screwed & u'll see why once you see what we lost to. We think it was set up bcuz of the other cars it beat besides ours

Well see we can't figure out the first step of the 3 holes on the back, seems like no matter what we try we can't get those dumb clips or whatever they are off the back

Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
Armor all kills them? Man I'm sure glad I know that now...we tried tp put my new ones on this weekend but we can't figure out the first step even with the directions =( so it looks like I'm gonna be stuck taking it to the Chevy dealer in town to see if they can kinda help me or how much they would charge to install them
Wow-
That's good to know. I try to avoid the buttons when I use that stuff. I had a tiny bit come off of the Cruise Control button, but the amount was so small that I was able to cover it up with a black Sharpie.. It's a perfect match.. I don't have the upper buttons like some of you guys, probably because I only have an LS.. Armor all works good on the dash though. The Set/Resume/Accel/Coast button on the right side still looks like new, even after 6 years of use.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2010
1 Year Member

My mom's are starting to peel. She has long fingernails, and uses her nails to push the buttons. She says she doesn't, but I've seen her do it, lol. I got some new ones from the junkyard. I've went through the shop manual and still have no idea of the correct way to disassemble the wheel and put them in. I just ripped off and broke the bezel/trim from the salvage car. Can't do that on hers though!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Guys, in about 2 weeks i will make a video on how to remove the airbag and getting the steering wheel buttons out and replacing them

Old 04-06-2011, 05:42 PM

Mitch that would be awesome

Quick Reply: Steering wheel buttons