Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Steering wheel buttons

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

well ryans dad painted them yesterday & they dont look the best but hey at least the paint isnt missing off of them anymore lol i'll post pics up later. monte isnt at my house right now lol

Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
didn't you bought that off of me? i remember i sold to somebodya long time ago in the other mc forum, lol.

when i bought my car i have same problem with the button all worn out too and i heard same thing that people (women) use their nails to switch station/turn volume. mine was own by a woman btw. lucky i still had warranty left at the time and it cover for cosmetic. i got brand new set replaced. all the buttons on mine are disable now cuz of after market stereo, but that's ok i got remote for my stereo which is good enough.
Nope wasn't me. I just bought the S-wheel week and half ago.

LETS GET THOSE PICS UP!:p

Old 04-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If all you really wanted to do was paint them black for the show, and don't care if it lasts a long time. You could always just get a small artist-style paint brush and some black touch up paint in a spray can. Doesn't even have to be an expensive brush. And some cheap flat black (or gloss black if you prefer) spray paint.

Spray a quick shot or two of paint onto the brush, then carefully brush the paint onto the damaged buttons. But be careful not to put too much paint on the brush, or it will drip and run when you go to brush it on. If you have a steady enough hand, you don't even have to take the buttons out of the wheel. If not, put some masking tape around the button so you don't get any paint on the wheel.

That method works well with a little practice. We used that little trick all the time when I worked at a body shop years ago.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 PM

Those remotes for aftermarket radios are useless in my opinion and more distracting while driving, plus its faster to go from steering wheel to radio than steering wheel to remote and find the buttons to the radio. :P
plus, i've lost my pioneer remote for my corolla, its somewhere in there i just cant find it.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:12 PM

kk well i'm gonna take tons of pics at the car show tomorrow so tomorrow night or monday keep an eye out for pics of the buttons & everything =)

Old 03-21-2011, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
its cool chris. but yeah whoever had the car before me must have used some sort of paint killin chemical
yup, I'm guilty of that. Armor all tore my buttons up, though not as bad as yours. I wish I would've been smart enough to know that years ago. Now I have to find new ones.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 AM

Armor all kills them? Man I'm sure glad I know that now...we tried tp put my new ones on this weekend but we can't figure out the first step even with the directions =( so it looks like I'm gonna be stuck taking it to the Chevy dealer in town to see if they can kinda help me or how much they would charge to install them

Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I used Armor-All on mine for years.

Now I use a leather cleaner for the inside of my car, but it's still technically armor-all, I haven't had any issues with peeling.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

No Amror-All ever for this guy. Hate the stuff.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
.we tried tp put my new ones on this weekend but we can't figure out the first step even with the directions =( so it looks like I'm gonna be stuck taking it to the Chevy dealer in town to see if they can kinda help me or how much they would charge to install them

You have to remove air bag to get to screws under air bag to remove buttons....I bought used steering wheel for the buttons $45 on ebay ....

Quick Reply: Steering wheel buttons