Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Say goodbye to Salt Stains on the Floor Mats!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Say goodbye to Salt Stains on the Floor Mats!

I tried an Old School Method of removing the Salt Stains from my Floor Mat, today and IT WORKED!!!

You treat the Stain with White Vinegar and Water.
Give the White Vinegar a little while to do its thing.
Shampoo the Carpet using concentrated Tide!
Shop Vac the Vinegar and Shampoo out.
Rinse water.
Shop vac the rinse water out good.

Salt Stain disappeared!

Old 02-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Default RE: Say goodbye to Salt Stains on the Floor Mats!

kool!

you can also do th esame thing with other stains. with dawn dish soap. get the bottom of a 5 gal. bucket coverd in soap. then fill with as hot as water as you can put your paws in to it.

then scrub as much as you think ya need to with a brush dipped in to this solution.

then shop vac it out, i have seen it take out old coffie and also dried blood. in cars.

So it is worth a shot . to .

think it would be great to put all thease tips togeather so others can benifit from them also.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 AM

yeh im gunna end up trying your method this coming spring because i have the tan carpet and it gets dirty horribly quick

Old 02-19-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member

Despite having the legendary WeatherTech Floor Mats in my beige carpeted Monte ... there was a straight line of white salt stain right at the edge of the mat just inside the door. It looked ugly as heck. I searched the web for "Stain Removal" and found that White Vinegar trick. You can see the salt breaking-up and dissolving as you moisten the Carpet with the White Vinegar and water solution. I was worried about the smell. But, when I hit the whole Foot Well with the shampoo and Shop Vac-ed the Shampoo right out of there ... the salt line was gone!

I shampooed the Driver Side Foot well twice. Now, it looks brand new. No stain, no discoloration, no real bad oder ... a clean smell if anything. But, the bottom line is that the Salt Stain that didn't come out before ... got dissolved and the carpet is the beautiful looking, clean, unstained with a salt line, new-looking rug that makes me glad I found the "Recipe" for getting it out of there.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the tip Rick!! My SS does not see any winter driving but the other 3 vehicles see alot of it. All 3 of them have the ever growing salt stain.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:53 AM

Thanks Rick, great tip
Thanks for posting/sharing.
[:-]
[ol][*]In a spray bottle, mix up a solution of 1/2 warm water and 1/2 white vinegar.[*]Spray the stained area with the solution.[*]Press a dry terrycloth towel over the wet area.[*]Remove the towel when it's soaked.[*]Repeat until the stains are gone. [/ol]
Additional Infor for Members
Removing "salt stains" from carpets - "Salt" stains are usually caused
by calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. Rock salt has small
amounts of both of these salts imbedded in it. The problem comes with
solubility. Patience and lots of rinse cycles are the key and
sometimes calcium carbonate forms and this is fairly insoluble. Try
to vacuum most of the dry residue off before using cool to warm water
and a very small amount of carpet shampoo. Once the cleaning solution
has been applied, allow time for it to dissolve the deposit. Blot, do
not scrub, the spot. Sodium chloride is more soluble at lower temps
than at higher ones. Then rinse with clear lukewarm water, blotting
up the excess moisture and follow with another water rinse and blot
dry. This should work. If not, try a cleaning mixture of 1/2 white
vinegar to 1/2 lukewarm water, allow to stand 15 minutes and rinse
with clear water.
Some people add lemon to also cover the smell of vinegar.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member

I guess that's basically the way I did it with the Shop-Vac twist. Instead of blotting it out, I Vacuumed it out. I drilled two little holes in the end of the Vacuum wand to keep the Vacuum wand from being stuffed closed by the carpet. With the holes in the end of the wand ... I got a powerful suction and could still move the wand over the surface of the carpet vacuuming-out the solution and carrying-out the stain as I went along.

Once I got the visible stain lifted-out of the carpet ... I threw-out the Vinegar-water and replaced it with Shampoo. I shampooed the carpet twice, using a nylon bristle brush to scrub the mat inn the carpet and work-in the shampoo pretty deep. Then, I vacuumed that out and repeated the process once again with shampoo ... vacuuming it out until the carpet was just damp to the touch ... then, adding a clear, warm water rinse and vacuuming that out until the carpet was as dry as it was going to get from vacuuming.

The ShopVac is made to handle vacuuming up spills. But the Squeegie-Type Tool was very weak in vacuuming carpet. So I used a regular pick-up tool and made two pop-rivit sized holes in it to act as a vacuum break. The tool had some bite on the wet carpet, but the two holes allowed in some vacuum break and let the tool draw-out the moisture from the shampoo and rinse water applied to the carpet.

I'm going to do the whole inside of my Monte when the weather gets warmer and it will dry-out fast. I'm getting rid of the coffee and ketchup stains at the edges of the mats.
I'm going to get it looking showroom new, again!