Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Owners of Black Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Well yes, it is a PITA, but come on, you can't beat a clean black car. Take my word for it. And, most recently, on Wednesday, I washed and quickly detailed my car and did a spray wax. Mr. Burns looks awesome right now and it literally only took me about 2 hours. From 6:30 to 8:30 at night. You can make it easy work.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:13 PM

You definitely must dedicate some time to cleaning, I like mine to stay glossy so I feel like I'm constantly cleaning or doing some quick detailing...but, like many have already said, well worth it. Montes look killer in black!

Old 08-27-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 04intimidatorssjmm
I agree it is a huge PITA but it is a labor of love one day washed my car then i went down to my fire house (at 9 o'clock at night) and started really detailing her up clay bar and all i finally finished t 3am lol my girlfrend was pissed but it was worth it. y best advice get the turtle wax Black Box kit it is designed for black cars everything in it is tinted black the pre-wax cleaner, the detailer spray and the carnuba wax it freiking rocks i love it.

I'd have to say ditto on the Turtle wax Black Box, one of my buddies came by today and told me about this stuff that's the only thing he"ll use on his brand new black Cadillac and pulled out the Black box kit ,then used it on my black SS...beautiful!! after seeing a shiny brand new caddy, and shiny Monte SS im sure my neighbhbors think I'm ballin!!!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by drjesus616
some good time with a mild buffing compound, a good glaze or polish, and a very very good wax about once a month or once every other month during the warmer parts of the year will keep you happy and it is very true about the dust ... my allergies are going nuts lately and then as soon as i go outside and see the pollen and stuff on my car i start sneezin just thinking about cleaning it

see if this doesnt help push you towards a black car ???

keep in mind this was after nearly 5-6 hours of detailing ... clay bar - swirl remover - ultimate compound - show car glaze - nxt2.0 ... and some quick detailer spray for the next few days to keep it looking good until it invariably rains and ruins my work

but damn does it look good ... i can pick stuff outta my teeth by lookin in the trunk
How do you like the Optimum Compound? I have some of the Optimum Polishes and think they are excellent but I still have some swirls that the Optimum polish couldn't remove, so I was thinking about either trying their compound, or using a more aggressive pad.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:54 PM

It's hell on Earth to keep clean...but rewarding. It's all proportional to the amount of time you put into it.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:54 PM

Now that's veracious! Very nice job on the detail.
I was living in OH two years ago for about six months. I got laid off, and home sick so I moved back to Phoenix. It was pretty cool out there though.

P.S. You're Monte Carlo looks like it's in a pertetual state of liquid enamel.

Last edited by Cicatrix; 08-28-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cicatrix
How do you like the Optimum Compound? I have some of the Optimum Polishes and think they are excellent but I still have some swirls that the Optimum polish couldn't remove, so I was thinking about either trying their compound, or using a more aggressive pad.
i dont know what this optimum compound you are talking about is but here are some links to everything i use ... all on amazon ... dont worry no meatspin links

Meguairs Swirl Remover 2.0

Meguiars Ultimate Compound

Meguiars Show Car Glaze

Meguiars NXT2.0 wax

Meguiars Ultimate quick detailer

granted if you try to do all these by hand youre going to end fairly lopsided in muscular development or give yourself a heart attack ... but it can be done i guess ... find yourself a really cheap random orbital polisher at autozone or oreilys ( whatever your car care store is ) or check out one like this ...

Titan-22610-10-Inch-Electric-Polisher

just be careful and try out all the compounds and polishes in a test spot first to make sure youre not going to do more or less than you want ... i always do the passenger side front of the bumper cause it has the most rock chips and will likely be the first thing replaced or repainted anyways

Old 08-28-2010, 09:44 PM

I'm sorry, for some reason I mixed up Ultimate with Optimum, my bad.

I wouldn't even attempt to do it by hand. I have a Porter Cable DA that I use.
I do use the NXT2 wax, great stuff. I have the Meg's QD too.
It's funny you mention that about the passenger side bumper though because I was thinking the same thing the other day while looking at that part.
Thanks for the advice, It's appreciated!

Old 08-29-2010, 02:17 AM

i would love to have a porter cable and assorted pads and matching compounds and be able to really "correct" my clear coat but i believe what i have now is damn good ... if i can make a black car look like this ... than any other color doesnt stand a chance

as far as the utlimate compound goes ... it does what it advertises ... it lessens or grades off the edges of scratches so they dont reflect as much light ... they are still there for sure but nowhere near as noticeable ... and it does restore some clarity/ color/ reflection to the topcoat

but if you already have a good DA you probably have some good pads with it too - i would say to use meguiars professional series of compounds and show car glaze ( that stuff is unreal ) - that line seems to be the cheapest of the "true" buffing compounds at around 10 dollars per 16oz bottles for heavy cut all the way to the wax

i was more than impressed with how well the swirl remover really did its thing without cutting as deep heavy cutting compounds and requiring less and less harsh compounds to get the shine back ...

it took alot of trial and error and a minimum of around 3-4 seperate attempts to get where i am now and ill give it a few weeks and a few car washes to see if the color and reflection stay as well

Last edited by drjesus616; 08-29-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 PM

I've detailed at several different establishments and black cars aren't necessarily difficult to take care of, just a lot different. Be choosey on what materials you use to do anything to the paint. If you're like me, you'll enjoy the extra time you spend with your car cleaning it and waxing it. Meguire's has a really good Black Paint wax that I've used and it does a good job, just make sure that you apply it as directed and don't be afraid to spend the extra money on good applicant pads and so on. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Owners of Black Vehicles