Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Owners of Black Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Well y'all know what I think of my baby lol even though I complain when I've had to detail it for 6 hours straight to help hide the scratches for shows & all, I can't see myself ever owning a car that's not black. Well except for that gorgeous blue color that I wanna paint my 4th gen monte when I get it (still haven't figured out what color that is btw lol). Are you selling your monte or just buying another car that is black?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
What cars are you looking at??
Tell us and we'll let you know if they're worth the effort to keep clean. :P
Don't wanna say just yet, afraid to seem like a weenie if and or when I change my mind. I'm thinking I will probably wait more. Would rather have blue or silver but.... DAMN they look hot in black!

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
Well y'all know what I think of my baby lol even though I complain when I've had to detail it for 6 hours straight to help hide the scratches for shows & all, I can't see myself ever owning a car that's not black. Well except for that gorgeous blue color that I wanna paint my 4th gen monte when I get it (still haven't figured out what color that is btw lol). Are you selling your monte or just buying another car that is black?
Yeah I was the same way, wouldn't think anything of taking the whole weekend to do a through job but there are more things that need my attention now then there were back then.

The Monte would have to be traded or sold, depending on what I settle on I might even be willing to sacrifice the Z28 ... think I may have said too much!

I appreciate everyone's input and please keep them coming nothing has been settled and everytime I look at the pictures the decision to keep looking gets a little more difficult. I am kind of surprised, I guess I pretty much thought everyone would tell me to run away and don't look back but good to hear that most of you seem to feel that the rewards are worth the headaches.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 PM

I agree it is a huge PITA but it is a labor of love one day washed my car then i went down to my fire house (at 9 o'clock at night) and started really detailing her up clay bar and all i finally finished t 3am lol my girlfrend was pissed but it was worth it. y best advice get the turtle wax Black Box kit it is designed for black cars everything in it is tinted black the pre-wax cleaner, the detailer spray and the carnuba wax it freiking rocks i love it.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm seeing a 5.3 SS in your near future...maybe black, which is great or silver

Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 PM

I had an 01 black Monte SS and loved the car put 200,000 miles on it in 6 years and traded it in. Then I bought the silver 06 SS. Black is beautiful but silver is sooo much easier to clean.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Originally Posted by JAFO
Don't wanna say just yet, afraid to seem like a weenie if and or when I change my mind. I'm thinking I will probably wait more. Would rather have blue or silver but.... DAMN they look hot in black!

Yeah I was the same way, wouldn't think anything of taking the whole weekend to do a through job but there are more things that need my attention now then there were back then.

The Monte would have to be traded or sold, depending on what I settle on I might even be willing to sacrifice the Z28 ... think I may have said too much!

I appreciate everyone's input and please keep them coming nothing has been settled and everytime I look at the pictures the decision to keep looking gets a little more difficult. I am kind of surprised, I guess I pretty much thought everyone would tell me to run away and don't look back but good to hear that most of you seem to feel that the rewards are worth the headaches.

Pshhhh! You should have known that I wouldn't have told ya to run from black are you buying a toyota?!?

Old 08-27-2010, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by JAFO
some good time with a mild buffing compound, a good glaze or polish, and a very very good wax about once a month or once every other month during the warmer parts of the year will keep you happy and it is very true about the dust ... my allergies are going nuts lately and then as soon as i go outside and see the pollen and stuff on my car i start sneezin just thinking about cleaning it

see if this doesnt help push you towards a black car ???

keep in mind this was after nearly 5-6 hours of detailing ... clay bar - swirl remover - ultimate compound - show car glaze - nxt2.0 ... and some quick detailer spray for the next few days to keep it looking good until it invariably rains and ruins my work

but damn does it look good ... i can pick stuff outta my teeth by lookin in the trunk

Old 08-27-2010, 03:15 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

My Mini Cooper was black - it was half the size of a Monte - so I didn't mind it as much and took less time detailing it. But I think I would pass on a black daily driver especially in the wintertime when they go salt crazy . A show car for sure I would go black.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:20 PM

I would say good upkeep is definitely the key thing. Once I wash my car, I try and take a California duster to it once every other day followed by a quick detailer. If It doesn't get to dusty, or dirty I find I can do this for a while without having to wash it. It is very dusty here in AZ so if I wait even a couple of days too long without doing anything I pretty much have to wash it.
I try to do the whole works twice a year though with a wash, claybar, polish, apply sealant, then wax. The rest of the time it's wash, and wax.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:32 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Or you can get a car cover and protect the surface. I cover my Silver car at work - and people think I'm nuts but I don't care. It keeps the tree sap and bird dropping off the paint. I don't have time to wash my car every night. Silver might look cleaner, but I know after one day of not using the car cover the surface of the paint is sooo gritty and that bugs the heck out of me.

Quick Reply: Owners of Black Vehicles