Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

New to Waxing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:52 AM
Default New to Waxing?

Hey guys i know i might sound a little out there with this question but this is my first true car that i actually care about waxing. Im only 19 but o well here we go. My girlfriend bought me a turtle wax platinum because she knew how miuch i love my monte but the thing is im not 100% sure on how to do it right. I know here in a week or two im actually going ut and buying an electric buffer, its only 30 at ouir local advance autos, so not that bad. What i want to know is the steps in going about waxing it. Obviously the first is washing it but from there im off into space as you should call it. I have a White SS so if any1 can give some advice i would highly appreciate it!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1842/D142B88AAAF24898886D01447B72BF66.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Default RE: New to Waxing?

Meguiars are the only products that touch my vehicles. I would never use anything with a Turtle Wax label. Just my .02. Wash with the 2 bucket method to help reduce swirls. Waxing has much to do with paint prep before waxing. Check out the 5 step method at meguiarsonline.com Avoid auto car washes as well if you care about the paint finish. Use plenty of microfibre towels or a look into a Porter Cable. Research the website and all this is covered.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:36 AM

i look into it thanks for the help!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:43 AM

i dunno i looked and i found a little of everything else except what i needed to know any suggestions? Im new to this can someone explain?

Old 03-16-2007, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: vipermann114

Hey guys i know i might sound a little out there with this question but this is my first true car that i actually care about waxing. Im only 19 but o well here we go. My girlfriend bought me a turtle wax platinum because she knew how miuch i love my monte but the thing is im not 100% sure on how to do it right. I know here in a week or two im actually going ut and buying an electric buffer, its only 30 at ouir local advance autos, so not that bad. What i want to know is the steps in going about waxing it. Obviously the first is washing it but from there im off into space as you should call it. I have a White SS so if any1 can give some advice i would highly appreciate it!

Hey bro, detailing is a hobby of mine so I can help you out a bit. I have to get to work right now but check back later this evening and I'll have some suggestions for you.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:37 AM

yeh all help would be highly appreciated. I actually just went out and bought an electric buffer. Its 10' in diameter and it comes with 2 reechargeable batteries. The price after tax was about 34 at the localwalmart. So all im am doing now is waiting on the advice and the right day here in Pittsburgh

Old 03-17-2007, 10:00 AM

I care about waxing too. I've helped a few ex-girlfriends with that. =)

Old 03-17-2007, 09:01 PM

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polishercost $160 on-line

Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: vipermann114

Alright, here we go.

1st off, start with a good car wash soap, Meguiar's NXT would be a good choice as it smells good, helps prevent water spots and leaves beind a very shiny gloss on your paint. I always wash from the top down to prevent dirtying an already clean area, and also cause at the bottom of the car is where you will find the heavier contaminants and it would be a bad thing to carry those all over the car and marr the paint. After washing you should use a clay bar to remove the embedded surface contaminants. Once you're done claying you should use a nice polish to remove and/or fill in fine surface scratches and bring that paint to a beautiful deep gloss. Seal the deal by applying a coat of wax. Contrary to popular belief, layering coats of wax will not give you any more protection or look any better unless the wax you're using has no abrasives in it. One that I like alot and can be layered is S100, which can be found at any Harley Davidson shop. It's like $15 for the jar but it is well worth the price.

Depending on the condition of your paint, you might need to use a machine for the polishing, but from the sounds of it you bought one of those cheap machines that uses bonnets. While the results using that may be better than hand, you're not gonna get nearly the results if you were to use a machine that uses foam pads, like a Porter Cable 7424. This is the machine I use and while it's about 3 times the cost of the machine you bought, it's the best investment you can make when it comes to paint upkeep because you can use it to remove swirl marks as well as apply wax, buffing, etc.

As for waxing, you can apply and remove by machine if you like, I prefer to apply by machine (depending on what wax I'm using that day) and remove by hand. If I feel the need, I'll put on a polishing pad and mist the surface of the car with Quick Detailer and buff it out with the machine.

I hope this helps bro, let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll help out as best I can.