Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Waxing

Old 03-30-2010, 01:39 PM
1 Year Member
Default Waxing

How serious is it that I don't try it in direct sunlight? I'm feeling impatient kinda. It's been a good while since I've waxed.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

You just have to be really quick if you do it in the direct sun. Since it's probably not too hot yet, you could probably get away with it. It just causes the wax to dry really fast.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

You should never wax or do anything like that to the pain in direct sunlight...

the problem is the sun heats up the paint and when the pain becomes to hot what you are doing to the paint i.e. waxing... it makes it worthless...

what happens is the part of the wax that is to "soak" into the paint will actually evaporate faster than doing the job of what the wax is suppose to do.

the rule of thumb that i follow is that the paint should be between 30 and 80 degrees for the products to do what they are to do to the paint.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:46 PM

It all depends on what product you're using. I have waxes that can be applied/removed in direct sunlight with no problems.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
It all depends on what product you're using. I have waxes that can be applied/removed in direct sunlight with no problems.
yes there are some...the meguiars product I use is to be good up till the paint is in the low 100 degree mark but i just never felt that is did as good of a job as it did when the paint was 50 degrees

Old 03-30-2010, 01:59 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks guys, I'm thinking I might wait or try a test first. It's basically a turtle wax black box product (with black pigment, found out I shouldn't have got it later according to some) but I've been using it and it does a fine job (though it doesn't treat the clearcoat problem). I just washed my car but by the time I finished the sun came out. It's rather cool outside and the paint isn't that hot but it doesn't help that it's black, so given some time it might be blazing hot right now (it's a black car, afterall). I'm not sure if the product would work okay or not in sunlight, I might try it out on a test area. I really don't want to waste it though.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:37 PM
1 Year Member

Just finished up after a couple hours, it's cooled down outside for sure.

I was wondering,
what meguires product/wax is best?
and also, is it safe to use deep purple degreaser on my tires or rims?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:09 PM

OK, this is what I use. The car was sitting in the sun and I put this on in direct sunlight and left it on for 2 hours, went back out and it came off like I had just put it on. not cheap but it is worth it.

http://jaxwax.com/

Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
yes there are some...the meguiars product I use is to be good up till the paint is in the low 100 degree mark but i just never felt that is did as good of a job as it did when the paint was 50 degrees
Since wax doesn't bond with the paint like a sealant does, i've never had that issue. Not many OTC products are direct sunlight safe, most will tell you not to use in direct sunlight. As far as wax goes, S100 is one that beats most, if not all, OTC products in ease of use, durability and gloss and can be applied/removed in direct sunlight if need be. It can be had at your local Harley Davidson dealer.

Originally Posted by East
Thanks guys, I'm thinking I might wait or try a test first. It's basically a turtle wax black box product
I'd definitely avoid using a TW product in direct sun.

My favorite Megs wax has to be NXT 2.0, just be careful when using the spray stuff cause it will put white spots on your trim if you're not careful. To combat that, I treat the trim first, then wax.....when I use NXT 2.0 spray wax. That way if you do get some on the trim it'll wipe right off.

I'd avoid using DP on your tires/rims though, that stuff is pretty strong and it would suck if it were to damage either. For cleaning my tires/rims I always just use my car wash soap....if there happens to be a heavy buildup of stuff on them that my soap can't handle then I'll use a 50/50 mix of Chemical Guys Citrus Wash n Gloss/water that I have premixed in a spray bottle....I'll spray that on the rims/tires, agitate with a scrub brush immediately and then follow up with another coat of solution and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I'll scrub them real good, rinse and repeat as needed. Works like a charm!

Originally Posted by Sir Monte
OK, this is what I use. The car was sitting in the sun and I put this on in direct sunlight and left it on for 2 hours, went back out and it came off like I had just put it on. not cheap but it is worth it.

http://jaxwax.com/
Jax is good stuff

Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 AM

Just finished up after a couple hours, it's cooled down outside for sure.

I was wondering,
i heard simple green is a good degreaser to use, and it dosnt have as many harsh chemcles.

What kind of clear cote proplem? Might u try Meguries Ulitmate Compound and follow that with the Meguries NXT gen wax 2.0

Remember b4 u use compound or wax treat your trim and tires with tire shine, so it doesnt stick or leave spots.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Waxing