Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

New trick I taught myself 'bout waxing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:18 AM
Default New trick I taught myself 'bout waxing...

After washing my 2004 SS, I waxed it, then for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to spray the specific area with hot water. Hit the paint again with just a towel, then finished it off with another buff using a terry cloth, and I'll be damned if that wasn't the best thing I've ever come up with after waxing. Shined like it was just painted.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:47 AM
Default RE: New trick I taught myself 'bout waxing...

ORIGINAL: Nix_SS

After washing my 2004 SS, I waxed it, then for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to spray the specific area with hot water. Hit the paint again with just a towel, then finished it off with another buff using a terry cloth, and I'll be damned if that wasn't the best thing I've ever come up with after waxing. Shined like it was just painted.
Hey... thanks for the tip man... I'll be sure to give that one a try on my next wash.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:31 PM

Not a problem....

Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 PM

the liquid and temperature of said liquid is irrelevant, it's the heat generated by the buffing action that really gets the job done. If you think you like the results with hot water and a towel, next time use a good quick detailer and a microfiber towel, if you must do it by hand, or QD and a lambs wool bonnet on a random orbital buffer. Talk about depth and gloss, it will leave you speechless.

When you "remove" wax, the surface isn't totally smooth although it may look and feel like it is. Although not as noticeable, the surface will be more like a fine orange peel. Buffing it out levels the surface and makes is glossier and gives it more depth. Thanks for the tip though, I never thought to use water, it will have to make due next time I need to buff out my car and don't have any QD.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:19 AM

I was just amazed on the difference that it made, and will have to buy an orbital buffer. I saw one in DuPont Registry magazine that I liked, but is it worth the $250 price tag I might not ever find out.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Nix_SS

I was just amazed on the difference that it made, and will have to buy an orbital buffer. I saw one in DuPont Registry magazine that I liked, but is it worth the $250 price tag I might not ever find out.
A great buffer to get is a Porter Cable. I bought one last year and can't see how I ever detailed cars without one prior to. I first figured out this technique about 6 years ago when I waxed my Civic for the first time after getting a fresh paint job. I just tried it, not really expecting to get the results I got, but just to see how it worked out and oh my goodness.......it was well worth the effort.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:14 AM

CIVIC Isn't that a foriegn car? J/K Glad to see you made the switch lol. Have to go check them out. The buffers not the CIVICS.