Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

gasket trick or just weird?

Old 06-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Default gasket trick or just weird?

I work with a guy who used to be a machinic. I was telling him about how i will be replacing a few gaskets on my 66 327. He then told me that I should use a silver spray paint and paint the gaskets, let dry then install. He said the silver paint has metal flakes and therefore better seals. Any input on this?

Old 06-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: gasket trick or just weird?

well felpro performer gaskets come with bits of metal inside them...so i guess that could kind of make sense that way...but i dont think what he's saying would work...what gaskets are you changing?? because valve cover gaskets are really the only ones that really suggest these metal in them..and the felpro # comes with the metal in it on those

Old 06-02-2007, 01:15 PM

years ago we used to use a copper spray on head gaskets..... NOITICED I SAID YEARS AGO

Now days the gaskets you get are much better made plus you will find that they have a sealant built into the gasket that has replaced the need for sprays

Old 06-02-2007, 01:40 PM

I bought and have in front of me fel-pro gasket kit for my block.I really bought it for my timing chain cover cause that is leaking, but bought the entire kit just in case something else needs to be replaced. But THere are all kinds of different looking and material gaskets. I guess w/e is needed for the application. The timiing chain cover gasket is more a paper sorta gasket where as the intake manafold is like a harder, kinda plastic material gasket

Old 06-02-2007, 03:54 PM

i always use pentex puprle on mine, it is also a felpro product i belive,.

or i will use the copper spay on the pan,waterpump and vlave cover gaskets when i build a older 350 motor. I absolutly hate a leaking motor.
Might explain why my hog never marked it's spot also. I made sure i did anything i could to make sure it wont happen.
they look like crap when ya look at them, and depending on what is leaking it can be veryy dangurouse.

what your frend is talking a bout is in the old days some folks thought that the silver paint was like the copper coat. in reality it was not close. but when you would stick the gaskets in place and tighten them up it would seal due to teh paint being there and being sticky on both sides of the gasket and there fore would stick to the parts also.

BUT IT IS A PITA TO GET THEM CLEANED OFF LATER.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 AM

thanks boys...I think I will just throw them on.