Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Leather Seat Products

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:09 AM

you dont want to slide of your seat or you might end up in to an accident(trust me) megiures works good, but it doesnt seem to get rid of cracks. i think once they are there, they stay there. just keep up the treatment and there wont be more

Old 08-20-2009, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Okay I'll chime in because after about 5 years of not cleaning my leather seats and watching them start to go to the crapper, I did a lot of research on this and now they are keeping pretty good.

The first thing to remember is that leather is basically just skin. It came from a cow and it's still skin so you have to treat it like skin. How do you treat your skin? You wash it, and then you moisturize it. Skin has a lot of little pores that hold dirt and grime, and your leather seats are just as bad. So you have to get that grime out, and when the pores aren't "clogged" the leather can bend freely and will feel soft.

One big key thing is to remember that leather shouldn't be shiny... That's oil and dirt (like your skin)

This is what you should do for your seats. Get a good MILD cleaner that smells nice (I like to use pine-sol, dilluted 1:2 with water) and a clean soft brush. I scrub the seats down, in sections at a time and then I take a clean, dry microfiber cloth and wipe the seats down. You have to get all the dirt out of the pores, so if you scrub and let it just sit there the dirt will just go back to where it is, so you have to use the cloth to get it off when the brush scrubs it away.

After you wash and dry all the seats, they will feel a little softer and then not be as shiny. Now is when you have to moisturize "the skin" It's one thing to have clear pores, but if you really want the seats to last then you have to keep them from drying out. Try to stay away from some of the harsher cleaners, and get something with lanolin oil. Usually can't find it in many places, but look around you'll get it.

*edit* Here's one

You can look at like pet stores, and other weird places that would sell it. Basically you are looking for a leather conditioner, not a cleaner.

and then you take a clean sponge and that moisturizer and give it a really good rub down. Don't worry about making it all absorb right away, after it sits for a little while the leather will absorb it.

Now you have nice soft and clean seats

Try to do that once a month, or every other month.

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 08-20-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Posting a link for some conditioner
Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 08-25-2009, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member

What I been hearing is the way I want to go is with blue coral

Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

blue coral... if it's anything like the blue polly(made by blue coral) i'd stray away.... has not lasted long... yeah blue poly is a wax and ur talkin leather not paint but thats my two cents

Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by iMSeRiOuS
I've tried what is avaliable at walmart (armorall, megellans(sp?)) but I feel like there has to be something better for my seats.

I try to treat the seats at least once a week to keep them soft, but there is cracking.

Is there any product anyone can recommend to really condition the seats and maybe even get the cracking out if possible.

eeeeek! Sinner.

If you use "Megliars", only use the professional line. Treat the seats once a month, max.

Use Wolfgang or Zainos.

Last edited by PINKFLOYD_; 08-26-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 AM

Leather Care: Click below link
http://www.properautocare.com/leatcarprod1.html