Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

interior cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:57 AM
Default RE: interior cleaning

[:-]
Armor All Leather Care Protectant

Overall rating:
Reviewed by 4 users

WriteaReview

This product will crack you up

Pros
Bright Shine and a visible difference

Cons
the shine quickly fades and leaves you with future problems

The Bottom Line
If you want to have your leather last as long as possible, avoid this product! Why torture your leather when you can baby it?

Full Review

I have owned over 15 cars in just 8 years and in that time I have seen every quirk possible with cars. The biggest problem I have seen is cracked leather, especially in the driver seats. Now ask most people and they will tell you to grab a bottle of Armor All and you will be good to go. The problem is that even though you have a nice shine for a while you have no idea of what is going on behind the scenes.

You see Armor All has a water base, sounds like no big deal right? Well let me ask you a question, what happens to water when it gets hot? Well it can easily become 150 degrees plus in your car in a very short time, and at that point water boils. Granted, you won't see any bubbles running over the top of your seats, but within a few years you will see the cracks. I hear you, so what a few cracks aren’t noticeable. The problem is that those cracks turn into rips.

The water-based products, as with Armor All Leather Care, destroy your interior by literally baking it. You wouldn’t take your cigarette lighter out and rub the hot surface all over your seats would you? I know that sounds ludicrous, but if the Armor All does the same thing as that lighter, then why would you purposely bake them with a product that gives a false sense of security?

Armor All also suggests that you can use this product on other leather surfaces. This is to include leather trim as well as your seats in your car. I would not suggest you use it on either surface as it will cause the same effect. They also suggest that you can use this product on your household leather items. If it were me I would use the saddle soap in these applications as well.

Find yourself a saddle soap or something similar and keep your leather treated with it every six months or so. Also, make sure your leather protectant is NOT water-based. Even if you have already gotten small cracks in the leather you can still save it. Try the saddle soap, you won’t regret it. Not only will it protect your leather but it will also make it softer to the touch after a few applications.

Remember be good to your car and it will be good to you.

Recommended:
No

Soruce below [:-]
http://www.epinions.com/content_60091436676

Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've been taking a look at what's available in my local auto parts stores. Actually a popular automotive-based retail chain ("Canadian Tire"). I couldn't believe how much Armor All has overtaken almost every shelf. Half of the car care products on the shelves had the Armor All name on it.

I've been using the Simonize Leather Cleaner and Conditioner since I bought my Monte. I've never had a car with leather interior before the Monte. I'm gonna have to do some research on this product to see if it's recommended or not. Because when it comes to leather, I know not to use Armor All, but still learning what I SHOULD be using.

Thanks for the info Space dude. I might have some problems finding saddle soap around here though. Gonna check out that site you posted.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 PM

hey guys, i was talking to this guy i work with that's been detailing cars for 20 years and he said that i shouldnt use any kind of protectant on my dash. he said the protectant makes the dash crack and pick up more dust and dirt.he said he would only use a citrus cleaner on it.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:16 PM

Get away from armor all.....