Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

ENGINE CLEANING

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ENGINE CLEANING

I want to clean my engine and I wanted to know what parts I have to cover up to keep from getting water in them ? And also what is a good degreaser to use ? One more question what is the best chrome cleaner for my rims ? They are getting dull and they are starting to get spots on them that washing don't take out.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Default RE: ENGINE CLEANING

Good question and timely Topic.
I'm wanting to do my Engine and Compartment; too.

I'm planning on bagging the two Relay Blocks and Coils. Shooting the Block with a Environmentally Friendly Degreaser (like STP) and rinsing it off with low pressure water from a garden hose. I won't have to use high pressure because its mostly Road Grime and no Oil or Grease to deal with because there's nothing leaking. The worst of it is where someone was careless putting Oil in to the Engine and there's some overflow stain at the Oil Fill Cap.

If you have done your Engine Compartment ... How did you do it???

Old 03-04-2008, 05:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I pick up a jug of Purple Power from advanced auto. It has a purple label and comes in a white jug. Spray it under your hood where you want to clean. Try not to get it on your paint, but it really doesnt hurt it. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, then spray it all again. Then immediately rinse it all of with hot water. It works like a charm. Cuts grease and oil and lifts dirt right off. I never cover anything up but I try to avoid directly spraying any wires/plugs/relays.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 AM

well i have a special toothbrush for my engine...takes forever but i find it worth it...

Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 AM

I'll be in there with a Tooth Brush ... for sure! I just don't want to start the job without the "CEL" on and then get something wet and have the CEL come on. Fortunately, there isn't too much nasty grease or oil I need to cut through. Just routine dirt and stains picked-up from driving along wet winter roads. A little "Scrub-a-dub-dub" and that stuff goes away.

Once I get it cleaned all off; I do a "Make-it-pretty" festival with some Arnoral and a small paint brush.
But, I am going to have to scrub and rinse; and it's nice to know you can without upsetting the apple cart and getting into a major electrical snafu.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:32 PM

well i can tell ya this but i will have to take your word on you killing your self after words (JUST KIDDING!!!!!)

But if you can becarefule and spray where there is no paint and or you just dont care if you have any left use heavy duty easy off oven cleaner. spray it on while the motor is cold. Drive to the nearst .25 car wash. then spray off with the high pressure hose and hot water.

Will clean years of crap off a motor.

But for those who have good paint and or dont want to risk it use the castral cleaner or the simpel green adn they both work good but i find sinpel green is a bit weak if it is wet first.
So i shoot it dry and scrub it all then shoot it again and let sit for a short time then with water.

OR
dawn dish soap and some water in a squirt bottel with a bit of scrubing will actually cut ALOT for it's price and ease of use lol

Old 03-04-2008, 09:35 PM

I use the Dawn on my motorcycle ... Works like a charm. I use a HEAVY Concentrate of Dawn in a trigger spray bottle and shoot it all over a really warm-up engine and cases. The foam clings and you can see it working on the slime and oil. Once it breaks-up the grime ... I douse the whole engine with a rinse water and reapply the Dawn concentrate and just keep it moist by respraying it for 15 ~ 20 minutes. When the times up ... a good rinse makes the surface clean right down to the bare aluminum.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for all the help. So I really don't need to cover up coil pack ?

Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 PM

I never have, but at the same tiem i dont put the hose on them and walk away either.

But i try to not soack the eletrical stuff for a long time just use as much as you need to on it and then go on.

but they are actually a sealed coil so it wont hurt them to get wet. but like i said dont allow it to becomed submerged either

Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 PM

Run the car to 190* and then hit the block with ice cold water. The dirt falls right off. You will hear a crack but that is just rough dirt coming off.

I would cover the coils and alternator. The rest should be fine and hit it with the Royal Purple.

BTW - Ignore the first comment.