Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Engine Bay Detailing - Dubstepticon

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mean Green / Simple Green can be found in dollar stores and Wal-mart. It's a great degreaser.

Walmart.com: Mean Green Super Strength Commercial Cleaner & Degreaser, 40 oz: Household Essentials

Old 06-15-2012, 01:32 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Okay, well I'm comfortable with this Simple Green stuff. I think wire brushes/brilo pads will also be necessary for removing some corrosion that's deeper down in the bay and harder to see. However, there are a few sections with some serious paint flaking. I'm afraid that whichever method I use that they will chip off in sections leaving more metal exposed.

Recommended sanding grits for engine cover, struts, dog-bone stuff, even the alternator , etc?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
Okay, well I'm comfortable with this Simple Green stuff. I think wire brushes/brilo pads will also be necessary for removing some corrosion that's deeper down in the bay and harder to see. However, there are a few sections with some serious paint flaking. I'm afraid that whichever method I use that they will chip off in sections leaving more metal exposed.

Recommended sanding grits for engine cover, struts, dog-bone stuff, even the alternator , etc?
Oh man I would leave that alternator alone!

Your dog bones and struts arn't too bad, a medium grade wet/dry sand paper would work, along with some rust inhibitor primer. (easier to paint if you remove them)

You may even want to paint a different color than stock

Here is a pic of my bay just to give you an Idea.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:27 PM

Tadd, one dog bone? And I was thinking of keeping the struts and bones deep black. I feel that yellow might be overdoing it and red would be too McDonald's-y haha. I admire your combo because the whole car is incorporated into the red and gold.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member

Tadd, one dog bone? And I was thinking of keeping the struts and bones deep black. I feel that yellow might be overdoing it and red would be too McDonald's-y haha. I admire your combo because the whole car is incorporated into the red and gold.

Ya the LS4's only came with one upper engine mount.

Can't wait to see what your finished project looks like!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:41 PM

You know what I don't get? Why are the struts flatted at those spots? What purpose does that serve? You're 7th gen doesn't have that style.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member

You know what I don't get? Why are the struts flatted at those spots? What purpose does that serve? You're 7th gen doesn't have that style.
I belive they are "crinkle points" meant to bend in a frontal collision to asorb energy.
My struts have "dimples" on the underside an indentation meant to bend in case of a frontial collision. If the struts didn't give in a frontial collision the driver and occupents would recive all the energy from the crash

Last edited by Tadcaster; 06-15-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I use awesome orange from the dollar store and it worked fine. I just do one section at a time spray it on and let it set for a few and wipe it off. The first few cleanings there will be a lot grease and oil so just use some old towels or disposable shop cloths. I don't show my car so I don't shine up the rubber or anything because it seems the dust from my driveway sticks to it.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 PM

Dubstepticon, nice, mines an autobot, but I dig dubstep, what you like?!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Warhorse
Dubstepticon, nice, mines an autobot, but I dig dubstep, what you like?!
Clearly, this guy is the man. Mostly Skrillex, but a few others. I'll post a conversation to your profile, and we'll keep it there.

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Detailing - Dubstepticon