Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Engine bay cleaned up and polishing update

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member
Talking Engine bay cleaned up and polishing update

As I mentioned sometime ago I planned to polish a few more things. After close to 40 hours of work I have much more complete. Polished STB, cross braces, engine mounts, thermostat housing, alternator bracket, and fuel rail. Also switched up my technique and redid my mounts and got much better results. (and I used proper girts, 80,120,220,320,400,600,800,1000,1500,2000, wet sanding with all grits 220 and up ) And of course I've sealed everything up with White-Diamond polish many times

Still have a few more things to do such as alternator, possibly dogbones, and something different with valve covers (can't afford polished at the moment so I may just paint these). Also have a chrome oil cap on the way

First engine mount (redid using crosshatch sanding technique and wet sanding)

Spent an entire night just removing most paint and ruffing everything up

Sorry the fallowing pics are not the greatest.. cell phone doesn't take night shots well. This was at 4 a.m. after I decided it was good enough to call it a night

Had this crazy idea for stb! Spent close to 7 hours just on this but it's truly a mirror! Pretty sweet IMO

Old pic of cross brace still painted and original K&N prototype lid

Polished with FINAL DRAFT of intake lid! I really like how this turned out

Just a few more updated pics!

New look for the wheels? I think it looks okay, some of you may hate me for this but keep in mind it can always be removed and IMO it looks better than the pitting and imperfections that my wheels have/had?

Pics from cruise in tonight. My friend (owner of the Comp G pictured) took some sweet pics with is DSLR camera so hopefully he'll share some of those with me at some point. I'll be sure to update.

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 06-08-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 AM

3 Year Member

The freshly polished and new look for the engine bay in action! Definitely got some looks

As always, thanks for looking/reading all of my non-sense!

Going to a car show this Saturday that I will for sure get some better/closer pics of all this polished stuff. (It will be my first legitimate show so wish me luck )

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 06-08-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 AM

Nice. I should send you mine to have polished up and painted black with red stripe lol.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 AM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
Nice. I should send you mine to have polished up and painted black with red stripe lol.
Thanks! I have plenty of sand paper and polish to do it! But it will cost ya

Old 06-08-2012, 12:10 AM

If you would do it and make it look that good would be worth it. Bumpin convinced me not to do a crazy engine build so Im saving up to buy a chrysler 300C to strip and use roddify my Dart. I will only do a mild build on Monte but would like to make it look pretty.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It all looks really good. I like the STB. Good combo.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:15 AM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
I will only do a mild build on Monte but would like to make it look pretty.
This explains my goals with my Monte as well lol! I'll have to get you some close up pictures (which I'm sure you'll like ) and an idea of what I should charge if you really want it done. I could probably have it done in one night. That's all it took for me at least. I have plenty of the red pin stripe and black high temp engine paint as well so maybe we can work something out

Originally Posted by lougreen03
It all looks really good. I like the STB. Good combo.
Thanks Lou

Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 AM

that's a lot of polishing...nice work.
i like it.
nascar03

Old 06-08-2012, 12:36 AM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by nascar03
that's a lot of polishing...nice work.
i like it.
nascar03
Thanks! And yes it was soo much polishing for just a few days. I'm thinking I'll take a few days off before I start on the alternator

I really like all of the polished items I now have under the hood. Just for the fact that from the exterior there really isn't any chrome/polished parts but then when the hood comes up, BAM! Reflections haha! (and secretly I'm not so great at painting.. always mess something up but with polishing you can't go wrong haha, just keep going until the previous grit is gone)

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 06-08-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:53 AM

deff like to see more pics and a price lol. Was looking at suspension parts too. Looks like around 1000 to get fully performance suspension and a drop. I need to buy strut tower braces as mine did not come with them. I think the polished look would go great with my intimidator badges and chrome wheels.

Quick Reply: Engine bay cleaned up and polishing update