Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Dirty rear end

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Default Dirty rear end

OK, I've been a car guy for many years, recently bought a 2005 Monte Carlo, it's agreat car. The rear quarter panels and rear bumper area are made of a different material than the rest of the body, and they absolutley will not clean. What do you guys use to keep these parts clean?

Old 05-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Dirty rear end

well the rear bumper is just plastic that may need to be polished...but as for the quarter panels, they're just steel i think...like the doors, fender's and hood
how bad is the difference?? if its bad the car may need to be clay barred and polished then waxed...

do you have any pics so we can see what your talking about?

welcome to the site

Old 05-06-2007, 12:51 PM

I clay bar mine at least twice a year MIN.
and it helps i have a white car so im always on it trying to keep it clean it is worse then Black i think sometimes LOL

But like Whizz says the rear 1/4 is sheet mettel and the rear bumper is just plastic so they are pretty much clean liek the rest of the car.
But if there is a major diffren in them you might see abotu gettign or doing it your self and buffing it off real good with a good wax and compound for clear coat. I know HI Temp is a good product but might be hard to come by where you live. other then this i ahvet been back long enough to find something i would say is Great But i have and do youse Mothers stuff also. and Zaineo's is pretty good i hear.

I would try this stuff first If it dont work make sure it is not faded funny If this is the case the best thing is to repaint it . And find out why it fades strange also.

Or another option is find out if it has ever been repainted they could have done this and not done it right when they faded it and is it showing up now.
Good luck

Old 05-06-2007, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the quick response, guys. My M/C is white, and I usually use meGuiar's stuff on my vehicles. Like I said, I've had a lot of Chevys over the years, and I try to keep 'em clean. On this '05, the problem is the rear bumper panel, and the area behind the rear wheels, the lower half. The top half is sheet metal, but from the line directly below the gas filler down, is plastic. There's a nasty stain there, from gas overflow in the past, I'm guessing, and some scuff marks and discoloring on the back bumper area. The rest of the body cleans up very nice with MeGuiars cleaning wax and quick wax, but I've tried everything from cleaning wax to rubbing compound to bug & tar remover (the old diesel fuel in a can), but this plastic stuff just doesn't clean up. Ill see if I can find a clay bar here at the old southwest Missouri O'Reilly's or Auto Zone. I'll get some pics as soon as I find the digital camera. Kids took it to prom last night. Thanks again for your help. I've been looking around the Monte Carlo forum for a couple of days, and it's pretty cool!

Old 05-06-2007, 03:09 PM

[align=center]Hi Randy, [/align][align=center]If clay bar does not work, I would talk to a body shop expert &[/align][align=center]get advice. I know the material it's made of is a composite-type[/align][align=center]plastic. And, if the gas ate through the clear coat & into[/align][align=center]the plastic, then you might have toget it re-painted : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Let the forum know of your results & post some pic's `if[/align][align=center]you can. Look forward to your future posts.[/align][align=center][sm=devilangel.gif][/align][align=center]Oh, hope the kids took good care of your Monte : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I heard they beat a Mustang GT [/align][align=center][sm=happy046.gif][sm=devilangel.gif][/align][align=center]Safe/Happy/Fun miles in your MonteCarlo[/align]

Old 05-06-2007, 05:07 PM

OK, here's a pic. As you can see, the lower area is just dirty looking, especially the stained spot.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2531/017C6B3B0E074C48B40F8BA2B1827D84.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

that almost looks like a run in the paint..has the car been repainted??

Old 05-07-2007, 01:40 AM

that looks like it has had something spilled on it. this is what the front fenders of my car looked like before it went in to the body shop. it had a chemical on it that even they could not figure out what it was.

But you can try to get it off with a solvinet that wont take paint or somethign but honestly i would run it past a body shop first before i get to carried away to find out i ruined the paint.

But if it is a run take your hand and real lightly feel acrossed it to se eif you can feel a high low spot on it

Old 05-09-2007, 03:43 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

2500 grit wet/dry paper might remove the stain but it's mostly for polishing.

A liquid polish may be better but the stain may be harder to remove?

I like Mequiars and Mothers products. They both make excellent products.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:22 AM

I should not have been watching the BBC while reading this forum, when I read the topic "Dirty rear end" I was thinking: Do you have a wiping problem?