Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

new paint questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Default new paint questions

im repainting my car what r some of the easy things to take off the car so i dont have to worry about over spray. example: tail lights, headlights, exc, exc,.....

Old 05-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Default RE: new paint questions

depend what your tryign to paint If your doing the whole thing and dont need to worry about driving it aroudn while it is in that condition. then you can take alot off.
Things tha ti would do for a color change would be the normal Head light /Tial light , marker lights,
Door handels (unless boidy color then i would pull them off and spry under them and paint them seperate)
Put old tires on it so you dont ahve to worry about those at all. i would go to a bone yard and just find some that will fit and hold air who cares if they are pretty or not. JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU WAS THEM REAL GOOD AND THE WHEELS TO. last thing you need it a peice of dirt off a tire hitting your wet paint.

I would pull all trim parts off the car that you cna get off. Around the doors the blcak mouldings, the trunk plate where the tail lights are and any wheel molding tha tyou might have.
Also any thing that is under the hood tha tyou want to paint i would prep and paint it also at this time.

If you are doing a color change i would take the door pannels off trunk and hood to make sure i can get to the back side of them and at least the carpet under teh seats far enough to get it under there so unless someontakes the carpet out of the car completly they wont see a seem line there.

Make sure you tape everythign off real good and use plastic sheeting like a heavy dropp cloth for painting your house in areas tha tyou can use one and know it will seal good.

Good luck and make sure you do a before and after shot here for us also.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah if your towing it in then take the headlights and tail lights out...or you can just tape over them with paper...tires you can just tape over them as well with paper...i would take off the inside door panels if they're doing inside the jams and everything..and take off the mirror's so they can spray those properly too..or avoid those if you dont want them painted..i think they look awesome when they're painted to match the vehicle though...tape up all the windows if you want with masking paper and masking tape..cover everything that you dont want painted...if you do a good job this will save them lots of time

Old 05-04-2007, 02:30 AM

im pretty much doing the same color just i had to replace a couple body parts warybird hood and new fender, that pretty much it but getting some ideas to make it easier. any advice would be great..

Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

are they still doing a complete paint job?? like the whole car? or just the parts u need??

at least if its the same color they wont have to spray inside the door jams and everything and in the engine bay

Old 05-07-2007, 12:59 AM

no i got the parts im just trying to make them all the same color as the rest of the car, but i think im going to remove the front seats and mount my amps under there so no one can see them sort like an undercover thing. Im going to run all my wires under the carpet, pull out the carpet center consel, and clean everything up so its like brand new. Color match the dash bezal so it matches the car, and small stuff like that. How do you think itll look??

Old 05-07-2007, 01:35 AM

they would look fine. if you follow like what i said for the paint above it will hold on there for a long time for you and do great!!
and look great. if you dont want it real shiny then get the semi gloss clear in stead of the high shine

Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 AM

yeah i just finished 400 wet sand the rear half of the car and sparyed a little piece of it and it looks great im going to try and get tommarrow of work so i can finish the whole car. I tried to mount my amps under the front seats but there want enought clearance so i scraped that idea and built a wrap around box in my trunk. It looks sweet now i just got to plug everything up and shake the hell out of my car. but i did peel back the carpet od the door panels so i can spary the door panels and not get paitn on the carpet. but the blue i sprayed looks real good.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:24 PM

kool! hope it keeps going good for ya.
Sounds like it will look nice. You really need to show photos of it

Old 05-10-2007, 10:44 PM

yeah its like a cotton candy blue paint. Im just about done i have to 600 wet sand the first coat and do the second then ill be done. it looks sweet as of right now

Quick Reply: new paint questions