Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Caliper painting

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Default RE: Caliper painting

i used the kit and just did them again for the show season becuse i wanted to have them real shiny again so i re cleaned and then painted with the kit and used a hig temo clear on them to make them shine . the kits work and they are not hard to use at all.

good luck ethier way

Old 07-11-2006, 03:24 AM

this looks like a good time to ask a question. Did you guys who took off your calipers have any trouble getting them off? I went to take mine off for the first time to change the brake pads and I couldn't get the blasted thing off!! I had to take my car to the shop to have the pads replaced for the first time in 10 years. How embarrassing. If I had a little more room to work, I think I wouldn't have had to so much trouble. I live in a townhouse now and my parking space is pretty small.

Normal procedure: jack up the car, remove the wheel, unscrew the 2 bolts from the back of the caliper, then pull the unit off, right? Did I miss something? Does the monte have an extra bolt somewhere I don't know about?

Old 07-11-2006, 03:25 AM

BTW: 2005 Monte Carlo LT

Old 07-11-2006, 09:48 AM

I replaced all of my rotors a couple of months ago with no problems. I did have to put the C-clamp on them to ease pressure after I removed the bolts but that is pretty much standard.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:05 PM

Please keep in mind that the material that the calipers, rotors and drums are made of is intentionally porous. The reason for this is for cool down. The metal is designed to cool off quickly because of the manufacturing technique and painting it will eliminate that capability causing brake fade, rotor warpage, and shorter pad life. I have seen many many people painting the brake hardware and although it may look good, it is not recommended.

If you are going to do this, more power to you but at least now you can make an informed decision.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:54 PM

Thanks `Cris for the information. I've been reading your post
and have been learning. You are a valued member. Thanks for
your post/time/knowledge.
`SpaceRider

Old 11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Default Caliper painting

ORIGINAL: NYCRISS

Please keep in mind that the material that the calipers, rotors and drums are made of is intentionally porous. The reason for this is for cool down. The metal is designed to cool off quickly because of the manufacturing technique and painting it will eliminate that capability causing brake fade, rotor warpage, and shorter pad life. I have seen many many people painting the brake hardware and although it may look good, it is not recommended.

If you are going to do this, more power to you but at least now you can make an informed decision.
How true is this statement? Heck everyone paints there calipers.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:46 PM

i used the kit duplicolor kit looks nice easy to use came with everything you needed.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:12 PM

You have to admit the marketing of the brake caliper kits work pretty good. Kudos to the ad agencys and people that create products like these.

The reality is a $6.00 can of quality high temp paint and a can of $2.97 brake cleaner will do the job just fine. The rest of the stuff that comes with these kits are made in China and probably are worth a total of $.10C. This coupled with a fancy picture on a box is enough to lure many people to purchase this product.

The high temp paint will be more of a thinner application on the caliper. It is hard to believe that this hardening agent and paint in the caliper kits can be good for heat transfer like the previous poster implied.

I just did mine last weekend and they look great with paint. Instead of the brake cleaner I used a hot thinner for cleaning, but the outcome would be the same. The end product certainly turns heads at a stop light!

One of these days I will find time to take some pictures and post them here, but until then Happy Motoring!

Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 AM

Pff, heck my rotors are always warping on me.. Go get em turned, and ur good to go. GM's tend to use cheap ones. Once ur out of speck for rotor thickness put on a set of the cheap aftermarket ones.... never had a problem with those..... go figure, rite?

Quick Reply: Caliper painting