Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Is this any good? (Buffer(

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Default Is this any good? (Buffer(

For the price, I can't help but think it's not too good, but I figured I'd ask.

http://advanceauto.shoplocal.com/adv...L2CatID%3d7707

Old 06-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Default RE: Is this any good? (Buffer(

Well from what I hear this one is a lot better. A little more money but you get what you pay for.
http://www.tools-plus.com/porter-cab...m_term=P-C7424

Old 06-19-2008, 10:36 PM

I work at a body shop and you probably want to stay away from any orbital type buffer. It takes forever to get anywhere with them. They work great for applying wax though. We havea makita that we have used for years and it works great but they are expensive. We also have an ADT buffer that we have used for a few years as well. It doest have as much power and doesnt run a smooth as the makita but we only paid $50 for it. Heres there website http://www.atdtools.com/Tools.htmlIts a 7" buffer/polisher. Not sure of where at online to get them but we got ours at carquest. I also use the same one at home as well. For the price its a pretty decent buffer.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:44 PM

The portable cable 7424 is great way to polish or wax because it is 2 in one and it won't burn your paint if you are just starting out with machine buffing. I have used both types and myself I rather use the portable cable. Everybody has there own views and that is mind. They both have adjustable speeds to them. Like anything else you should practice on something other then your car before attempting to machine buff. You can screw up a good paint job with just a little to much buffing in one spot.If you go to Auto geek web site they have a video of how to use the buffer. You can still get a great shine by hand if you use the 3 step method

Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: zwc0442

I work at a body shop and you probably want to stay away from any orbital type buffer. It takes forever to get anywhere with them. They work great for applying wax though. We havea makita that we have used for years and it works great but they are expensive. We also have an ADT buffer that we have used for a few years as well. It doest have as much power and doesnt run a smooth as the makita but we only paid $50 for it. Heres there website http://www.atdtools.com/Tools.htmlIts a 7" buffer/polisher. Not sure of where at online to get them but we got ours at carquest. I also use the same one at home as well. For the price its a pretty decent buffer.
I own my own detailing business and I can get excellent results using a PC 7424, it's all about pad/product combo, as well as knowing the limits of the machine/pad/product and how to get the most out of them. Here's an example of what I can do with a PC;

Before: See the heavy swirls in the reflection of the flash just under the window?

After: I wasn't able to get 100% correction, but I didn't expect that either. Look at how concetrated the reflection of the flash is, look at the depth in the paint, you can even see the metalflakes now too. All I used was a PC 7424, Lake Country green CCS foam pad and an 80-20 mixture of Optimum Polish and ClearKote Vanilla Moose Wax.

See the haze in the paint? It was like that all over the car. In this pic I had polished the trunk lid and half of the quarter panel, can you tell which half I did?

This is what this 12yr old car with the original paint looked like once I was done

And here's a cool reflection shot, this is my reflection off the passenger side quarter panel

Some damn good results with a random orbital buffer, even if I do say so myself.