Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Intake manifold exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 07:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats!!! Nice when the job comes to a successful finish!!

BTW - I did not catch, did you buy a new Fuel Pressure Regulator? If not, I would replace it (even if the one on a junk yard fuel rail is working, just get the piece of mind, as that failing is what caused the explosion).

Old 02-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Way to go Steve!!
Persitance pays once again. Thanks for saving another Monte from the junk yard.
I believe the Multi-function switch will cure your wiper problem.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:58 AM
1 Year Member

Yep, I am not certain that the regulator is what caused the fire but it sounds like the most likely cause. I did pick up a new pressure regulator. I put it in the fuel rail when I put the car back together, but I noticed it was just a little bit different than the old one. Not much different just had a little different look around the bottom. I am not too confident on where I got the regulator, the parts guy didn't sound like he knew anything. When the car wouldn't start at first I took the new regulator out and put the old one in just in case that was the reason it wouldn't start, but it didn't make a difference. Tomorrow I am going to pull the old one out and put the new one back in, so it will have a new regulator when it hits the road.
I think the wiper problem is in the switch the way it is acting. Sometimes driving down the road the wipers will just come on for no reason, then shut off. Today I ran them and did hear a grinding noise from the motor, so it might be both, but I am going to start with the switch.
So far I am only in this car about $300. My daughter bought it in June for 3100. The insurance company totaled it after the fire and after some arguing with them paid her 3150 for the car, minus her deductible and the 100 dollar retention fee so the insurance paid off the loan. 300 dollars in parts and it should be good to go, I hope.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Hi Steve.
The original FP regulator installed in our cars was actually recalled years ago for this very problem. Yours may not have had the recall done. I've had good luck with Delphi brand regulators.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:05 PM
1 Year Member

I am almost ready to shove this car in the lake!
2 days ago when my wife started it after work she said it made a pop noise when it started, then ran rough for a minute or two. The way she describes the pop it sounds like it is backfiring through the intake. After it runs a minute or so then it runs good. No problems going down the road.
Yesterday when she got home from work (a 30 mile highway drive) she said it smelled hot. So after checking it I found antifreeze puddled under the upper intake by the air inlet. So, the intake is leaking! I hope it is also drawing air when it is cool causing the rough idle when cold. The leak looks like it is coming from the gasket.
I am so ready to get it running decent and go trade it for a Ford!
I guess that is what I get for using a junk yard intake.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Im assuming you didn't install gaskets correct or didn't torque down bolts correctly.

Every make vehicle has its issues Ford included but if you feel that's the best way out have fun driving the Ford. When it breaks atleast the problem will be circled for ya

Old 02-18-2017, 05:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

THe upper intakes on the 3800 can begin leaking coolant. Cheapest fix, plug off the coolant ports on the lower intake. It will harm nothing to plug those off.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:03 PM
1 Year Member

I don't get you chevy owners, Ford did not circle a problem. It is an oval. A circle is round, an oval is a squashed circle.
I think Chevy products are allergic to me. I have owned a few but I have never gotten the trouble free miles out of any of them that I have with all of the Fords I have owned.
But seriously, the Monte Carlo is one of the few Chevy cars I like. This is a nice car, and will be once again as soon as I get the kinks ironed out. I need to get this intake fixed for good, then I need to change the wiper motor, another Chevy problem. I hate their wiper motor design! Then I will have to replace bushings on the rear suspension, they are rattling bad. Then something in the front drivers suspension is clunking bad. But those are all small fixes and not uncommon for a car with 210,000 miles.
Now for the intake problem. I am pretty sure that it is because I got an intake from a junk yard. I suspect it was warped or had a crack in it. I put the gasket in correctly, not many ways to mess that part up. I torqued the bolts in sequence according to the book. I started in the middle and did a criss cross pattern like you are supposed to do, starting with finger tight then 2 passes with the torque wrench. When I got to the bolt in the back on the side closest to the air intake as I was torqueing the first pass the intake made a loud pop. I think it was warped or had a crack that cut loose when I torqued the bolt. I looked at it and did not see anything, but that is right where the coolant is seeping from. So, as soon as I get a chance I am heading to the parts store to get a new intake.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Sorry, atleast they *ovaled* the problem

Bottom line, every make has their issues, if you feel Chevy is your issue then maybe it's best you don't own one lol. Btw this is coming from a guy that owns a 2013 focus st as a daily, I like busting ***** but at the end of the day all it is is just a name of a manufacturer.

Did you rtv the corners of the Lim? It's possible it warped/ cracked but it's rare.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:24 PM
1 Year Member

No I did not use RTV on any of the gaskets. I also did not remove the lower intake only the upper. Well, it was mostly removed for me with the explosion. I have a couple of projects in front of it, after I am finished I am going to pull the intake and see what it looks like, then just replace it with a new one.
I just finished a 2009 Chevy Cobalt, new lower control arm left side and a new steering rack and pinion assembly. Now I have an Explorer in for a starter, should get parts tomorrow and get it out of here. Then I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado to get in and test the evap system. I am guessing it is the valve at the end of the canister. I haven't seen it yet, but the owner gave me the engine codes they got from it. I should have all of those done tomorrow, then I have an expedition to replace a door handle on then back to the Monte. If I don't get it done soon my wife will probably suffocate me in my sleep. She loves that car, so I need to get it going.