Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Engine knocking upon ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Default Engine knocking upon ignition

Hello there,

When starting my MC (3.4L '02) I hear the typical engine whining sound to ignite the engine, however now I am starting to hear knocking sound right before the engine ignites. It's often just one or two knocking sounds, but I am wondering what this can be, how serious it is, and how I can fix it.

Any ideas?

Much thanks, and a Happy Holidays!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Anyway you can record it and post a link to the recording?

Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 PM

ok it is this how is the rutine mantenence have you done a tune up oil filter and filters? also what wieght do you use it might be to heavy or to light?also it could be is do you let it sit for a long time like letting it sit for pushing a week or more? oil can pool at the bottom and hearing a knock hear and there is minor if you dont use a stabiliser. if you drive it on the regular it could be a sensor or it could have thrown a bearing or the oil pump ios going there is a lot of things that are left out. just need a little more thats all and we all will be happy to help i was asking a few questions to help understand whats going on to help point you in the right direction for the fix.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Anyway you can record it and post a link to the recording?
Similar to when one goes to a doctor's office, the engine has stopped acting up when I try recording it. I've determined that what it sounds like is when you shift from Park to any other gear, and you wait a half a second, you'll hear a click or knock sound. This sound only clicks once or twice as the engine fires up.

Originally Posted by monte07
ok it is this how is the rutine mantenence have you done a tune up oil filter and filters? also what wieght do you use it might be to heavy or to light?also it could be is do you let it sit for a long time like letting it sit for pushing a week or more? oil can pool at the bottom and hearing a knock hear and there is minor if you dont use a stabiliser. if you drive it on the regular it could be a sensor or it could have thrown a bearing or the oil pump ios going there is a lot of things that are left out. just need a little more thats all and we all will be happy to help i was asking a few questions to help understand whats going on to help point you in the right direction for the fix.
I do oil and oil filter (5w-30 synthetic or adv. synthetic, Purolater oil filter) changes around every 5K miles, which is when the oil life monitor typically goes off. Does anyone else rely on the computer to make oil changes? or do you follow the 3k-4k mile 'standard'?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not releasing the key from the start to on position quick enough?
Weak starter solenoid spring?
Loose starter mounting bolts?