Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Opinion Needed: Rear speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Rear speaker question

So I have a set of 6.5 Sony speakers in the rear deck of the car the rear right one has gone out well it's still plays but it is very low I was thinking about changing the speakers out what is the biggest size I can get for the rear deck ?

Old 12-05-2016, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member

So I have a set of 6.5 Sony speakers in the rear deck of the car the rear right one has gone out well it's still plays but it is very low I was thinking about changing the speakers out what is the biggest size I can get for the rear deck ?

Old 12-05-2016, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member

Old 12-08-2016, 10:09 AM

I'm running a set of 6x9 JBL 3-way's.

To get them in you need to a little bit of "SCULPTING" on the two cut-outs.

For a Custom Enlarging of the two holes I traced the Speaker on a firm cardboard box.
Breakfast Cereal Box opened, flattened and Ironed flat after giving it a spritz of Spray Starch.

Once you have the home-made pattern sheet ready, ... trace the speaker on the sheet.
Use a SHARP precision tool to cut-out the template. X-acto Knife or a Razor Cutting Tool w/ the Slider **** that extends the Blade letting you break-off Tip sections for a fresh end.

Position the template over the Stock Speaker Cut-out.
Anchor with masking tape.
Using a SHARPIE ... Mark the OUTLINE, ... Then, COLOR that whole little area needing to go with the SHARPIE ... So you SEE what needs to go.

I sculpted-away the colored area using a Variable-speed DREMEL Tool w/ FLEX-Wand attached.

Place 3 or 4 Cutting Disc together on the Bit.
Now, ... "Play Dentist"

WEAR SAFETY SHIELD / GOGGLES / or GLASSES

Find a comfortable speed that allows you to gently -- "ERODE-AWAY" -- the Colored areas marked for trimming.
Use a feather-light touch and SKIM-away where you need relief.

DO NOT RUSH-IT or the Cutting Disks will break-apart.

I went through a bunch of discs before removing the little bit of sheet metal that needed being enlarged just a little-bit!!

Old 12-09-2016, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member

I had a set of Sony xplod 4 ways that were 6x9 they fit right in