General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Braking Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Default Braking Setup?

I'm looking at the Powerslot/Hawk Performance brake pad setup once the weather warms up...

What are the benefits of ceramic over the carbon ferros compound? I thought the latter was much better for rotors, and ceramic ate rotors?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Default RE: Braking Setup?

if i remeber right our cars have ceramic pads on them factory.

but the rotors are made for that style pad. other wise yeah it can eat them up quicker

Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 PM

Ceramic pads are less dusty than carbon-metallic. You can't use a cheap rotor withany kind of padotherwise the first time you need to get on the binders or if you like to brake aggressively, you will warp the rotor. Your gen. cars do have ceramics stock--mine didn't but I upgraded to Bendix rotors/ceramic pads. (I forgot the brand of pads) I love them. Hardly dusty and the benefit of ceramics over any other pad is theyDISSIPATEHEAT A LOT quicker, more effectively and efficiently. Just look at the specs for the rotors you're looking at--they may just recommend ceramic pads with the rotors. Good luck and I hope this helped.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:29 PM

Okay, so, I got the low down on what powerslot recommends...

They state that Ceramic, while may be less dusty, provides no additional benefit over Carbon Ferrous pads, because ceramics have "heat fade" unlike the CF Pads. He stated that with my setup, now at 45000 miles, with powerslot cryo's, in addition to HPS Carbon Ferrous Pads, I would more than likely not have to change my rotors until at least 120000+ miles.

He invites anyone with more questions on braking setups to call him at:
818-709-4944 His name is Ken, which I believe is extension #2 (product information and technical support.)

He was extremely knowledgeable, and really wants some phone calls from people who have questions regarding one of the best brake setups available for performance cars.

=)

Old 03-29-2008, 09:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I bought Powerslots and Hawk HPS pads 4 years ago. I took them off the "01 SS LE that they were on and swapped them to the Intimidator SS when I bought it. They have well over 100,000 miles on them now, and are still going strong! The rears are worn more than the fronts, and I have bought pads for both the front and back, but the fronts are F body pads for the F-body caliper kit I bought from ZZPerformance.
I HIGHLY recommend this combination, Powerslots and Hawk HPS pads. EXCELLENT products.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:59 AM

Since they were first used on a few original equipment applications in 1985, friction materials that contain ceramic formulations have become recognized for their desirable blend of traits. These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter braking because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range.

Another characteristic that makes ceramic materials attractive is the absence of noticeable dust. All brake pads produce dust as they wear. The ingredients in ceramic compounds produce a light colored dust that is much less noticeable and less likely to stick to the wheels. Consequently, wheels and tires maintain a cleaner appearance longer.

Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, stopping distance and noise. According to durability tests, ceramic compounds extend brake life compared to most other semi-metallic and organic materials and outlast other premium pad materials by a significant margin - with no sacrifice in noise control, pad life or braking performance.

This is quite an improvement over organic and semi-metallic brake materials that typically sacrifice pad life to reduce noise, or vice versa.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:06 AM

Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, stopping distance and noise. According to durability tests, ceramic compounds extend brake life compared to most other semi-metallic and organic materials and outlast other premium pad materials by a significant margin - with no sacrifice in noise control, pad life or braking performance.
Maybe true on stock, but Powerslot recommends Carbon Ferrous for longevity and better brake wear, in addition to much agile braking for the "race-inspired" driver over a ceramic brake pad.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:41 AM

I can't speak for my Monte's yet, but I put the ceramic pads and rotors on my truck, and it was like the difference between night and day. The truck will break your neck if you get on the binders hard, they are that good.

I will update on this in a few weeks, as I'm going to put ceramics on my 99 Monte shortly. The brakes on that car have never been the greatest (they have always sucked, really) and its time for some serious work on that car if I want to keep it road worthy (and keep the wife happy, she loves that car).

So in the next 2 months I plan on new struts all around, new ceramics for the front, new pads anddrums for the rear, new wheels, new tires, four wheel alignment, and fresh paint. Anything else found wrong will be fixed also. It will cost quite a bit, but it beats a payment (and my wife whining about how I never fix her car, lol).