Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

To tranny flush or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06athena
Gonna be doing a pan drop/filter change this weekend. About how many quarts of trans fluid will I need to fill it back up?
on the 06 monte correct?

if im not mistaking it takes 7.5 quarts of dextron VI

when you go to the local parts store to get the stuff ask them they can look it up on the computer and tell you how many quarts for sure.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:02 PM

flushed mine at 10000 km runs like a beauty always ran synthetic oil

Old 12-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My buddie who also is a professional mech. told be I should flush the Deuce's trannie so I did that this last summer was about $150.00 bucks she had 74,000 miles on her at the time. besides i had driven the Deuce in the moutians near Oatman Az. and accross courtry on Route 66 so i figure it was a good move.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you want to flush it, do it REGULARLY. Like every 2 yrs, or 30k.

If you don't flush it regularly... I probably wouldn't bother flushing, just pan drop and filter change.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Default only 29,000 on mine

I just did a full fluid change,oil change, brake fluid , radiator, transmission and even the power steering fluid.
I think its more an age thing than mileage in my case. I will say the mechanic said I had so little shavings in the transmission pan he was surprised and impressed . He told me to leave it be until I reach 100,000 at this point going forward.I will let you know if I get any problems with what I did...

2001 Monte Carlo LS 29,900 mi as of 8/4/13.

Originally Posted by J-Bob
wow, an 02 SS with just 50,000, i thought i was doin good and i got an 04 SS with somethin like 56,000, i'm interested to see, cause i'm low miles to, have u noticed any hesitation or anything, but i'm like u, i've heard doing a whole system flush and changing the fuel sensors will make u a beast

Attached Thumbnails To tranny flush or not?-1003024_10151857371000864_1223465224_n.jpg  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:04 PM

Was looking for this and took a little while to find it, not knowing what to search for so I figured I'd help anyone that stumbles upon this thread.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/se...-filter-19410/

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
And I thought I was doing with with my 00SS with only 168,000 on it

Just do a simple pan drop, change the filter and fill back up. We have a good how-to in the how-to section (but you'll have to look under 7th Gen, but it's the same)

Make sure you have a good set of torque wrenches

Old 12-22-2013, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
If you want to flush it, do it REGULARLY. Like every 2 yrs, or 30k.

If you don't flush it regularly... I probably wouldn't bother flushing, just pan drop and filter change.

I believe in Flushing the trans 4>Sure...Just drop'in the pan and replacing new fluid/filter with old isn't good in my opinion..I was taught to >.Do it right or don't do it @ 'all ? Just a bump to a good thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Arrow Flush it ?

by Pat Goss

For most drivers automatic transmissions make sense, but once you own one, you have to make a decision about maintaining it. And that means you have to decide whether or not to flush your transmission, or wait until later in the life of the vehicle and flush your wallet big time. I elect to flush my transmissions.
You see, back in the day what you used to do was you would drop the transmission pan, you'd replace the transmission filter, put a new gasket in it, and replace oh, maybe a quarter or a third of the total fluid in the transmission. Didn't really do anything and it didn't clean anything, and cleaning is really important. You see, here we have a torque converter. We know the term, it bolts to the back of the engine, and it uses hydraulic pressure to connect the engine to the automatic transmission. See this portion of the torque converter spins at the same speed as your engine, so if your engine is turning three thousand RPM, so's the torque converter. And it's filled with fluid, and the fluid is circulating as well.
Now, what that means is that this acts like a centrifuge. And any dirt particles that are in the fluid get flung out until they collect around this outside area of the torque converter. Now unless you flush, there's no way to ever clean that away. And if it isn't cleaned away, eventually it will build up to a point where it begins to flake off, those flakes can travel through the transmission, block fluid passages, cause slippage, slippage causes heat, heat kills transmissions. It's just that simple. Cleanliness is the key.
See we never want to have our fluid looking like this if we can avoid it. What we want our fluid to look like always is brand new, and that means we have to flush it. We should flush it every twenty-four to thirty thousand miles. And make sure the shop that does it uses the appropriate fluid for your car. One size doesn't fit all, and there isn't a chemical that you can dump into a universal fluid that'll make it fit all cars. That's foolishness.
Now here's a typical flush machine. It has hoses that connect into the cooling lines of the transmission. All of the old fluid is drawn out of the transmission and quarantined inside the machine, and it's replenished with new fluid. But the big difference, this machine uses chemicals that clean the inside of the transmission. It softens all of this dirt, the dirt is trapped in the machine, your transmission is clean. It can double, triple, quadruple the life of the transmission. In many cases, it will make the transmission last the life of the car.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:26 AM

I haven't had any transmission service since my '68 Camaro 350 turbo back in 1981! I called the same shop that rebuilt my brothers '69 Camaro 350 turbo in '79 and also put a shift kit in mine in '81,yep local shop still going, the guy I spoke with is the man,(youngster then) who did our trannys! he said for me to do a flush,I asked about trash being stirred up and he said, there shouldn't be any! but just doing a pan drop, filter change would only replace about 6-7 qts of fluid, as the rest is in the torque converter, he said to flush, replace with new synthetic fluid, also replacing gasket and filter with quality parts. his price is about 250$, but I trust him! I am thinking about having him put in a shift kit while there? is there a certain, better than most shift kit out there??

Old 07-15-2015, 06:02 PM

I do a complete flush every 30,000 miles. I prefer the JiffyLube method of extracting / filling / re-extracting & re-filling ... several times ... through the Filler Pipe rather than risk damaging the Hoses or Trans-Cooler line attachment points. Sure, ... this method takes about an hour and wastes nearly 8 quarts of tranny fluid during the process of replacing the juice several times, ... but, they'd rather waste the juice and leave the cooling lines alone instead of risking undoing the cooling lines and causing a problem that would be big-bucks to fix and leave you stranded waiting for the parts.

Quick Reply: To tranny flush or not?