Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   To tranny flush or not? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/tranny-flush-not-19900/)

hollf1 04-08-2010 09:49 PM

To tranny flush or not?

Hello, I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS. I have just under 50,000 miles on it. I treat the car like it is my baby and do oil changes every 5,000 miles with synthetic oil.

Anyways, I was wondering if it was a good idea to do a tranny flush on my car. I been reading how a tranny flush can be beneficial to your car and how it can also damage the tranny. Please advise if I should do it or not. Thanks!!

monte carlo 3831 04-08-2010 10:00 PM

wow, another of the same old to do? or not to do? this is a very much questioned topic! we see it all the time and really there are a bunch of mixed opinions on the matter. try and do a forum search on this and see for yourself or wait for a cuople days and see what the other members suggest. by the way, you have an 02 earnhardt monte? have you posted any pictures yet? I would really like to see it, thanks.

J-Bob 04-09-2010 01:49 AM

wow, an 02 SS with just 50,000, i thought i was doin good and i got an 04 SS with somethin like 56,000, i'm interested to see, cause i'm low miles to, have u noticed any hesitation or anything, but i'm like u, i've heard doing a whole system flush and changing the fuel sensors will make u a beast

ChibiBlackSheep 04-09-2010 08:48 AM

And I thought I was doing with with my 00SS with only 168,000 on it :(

Just do a simple pan drop, change the filter and fill back up. We have a good how-to in the how-to section (but you'll have to look under 7th Gen, but it's the same)

Make sure you have a good set of torque wrenches

MAMONTE 04-09-2010 10:49 AM

Drop the pan, change the filter and fill it back up. Switch to Dexron VI when you change it too. This method will change about 7.5 out of 13 quarts, and obviously changes the filter too, plus cleans the pan, and magnets. If you follow this method of changing the fluid on a regular basis, this is good maintenance for your car, and the safest way to go.

hollf1 04-09-2010 07:23 PM

The reason my car has only 50,000 miles on it is because I bought it with 1,000 miles on it back in 07. The original owner that had the car had died and the wife sold it to the chevy dealership near me. The car was garage kept all the time so it was essentially like buying a new car. I love this car and plan on making it last at least until 150,000 miles.

I've been reading about the tranny flushes and have found some articles that state that the gm factories don't recommend them it is only the gm dealerships that recommend them (real suprise there!) I'm trying to post some pics but this stupid uploader keeps failing on me.

MAMONTE 04-10-2010 07:04 PM

you will have no problems getting 150,000+ miles out of the 3.8L engine, that is easily do able with basic maintenance. Definitely start chnaging you tranny fluid about every 25=30,000 miles if you want your tranny to go the distance. The transmissions in these cars can be a weak point.

J-Bob 04-10-2010 08:56 PM

ya my cuz just bout a 03 SS with about 160,000 and it was runnin like a champ but ridin in the chi is tough work and i've seen MC's, specially since it seems like everybody drives em, make it to 200,000+ with no prolem other than replacing the radiator, which i did about a year and a half ago

ETexasTwister 04-12-2010 03:24 PM

my girlfriend (now my wife) bought her 2002 SS new.All she has done is keep the oil changed tires and breaks 138500 miles.I just went in and changed the upper and lower intake gaskets because I found some oil in the coolant.The motor was the cleanest I have ever worked on.No buildup inside what so ever.She has never serviced the transmission still works fine.I do hear a ticking noise that i am finding out might be a cracked flexplate.(Flywheel).

MAMONTE 04-13-2010 08:43 AM

Have you done spark plugs and wires yet? If not I recommend doing that also. And as i said in another post, drop the pan, and change the tranny filter. Refill with Dexron VI. :)