Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Fuel Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Default Fuel Gauge Problem

Hey guys this is my first time posting on here so please bare with me lol. I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my fuel gauge. For the last few months once in a while when I turned on the car the fuel gauge would go way past full, to the point where the needle was hitting the gauge next to it so it could not go any further. Then when I turned off the car the gauge would settle near a quarter of a tank. This problem would eventually fix itself when the car was turned on and off a few times (each time the needle would move a little further back to its normal position). The problem continued to persist, occurring more often as time went on.

Now this past week, the same problem occurred and now seems permanent. When the car is off the needle rests at about 1/4 of a tank and when on the needle is all the way past full hitting the next gauge. This is with a full tank of gas.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what this may be and how to fix it? I am guessing it either the fuel sender unit or the actual gauge but I am not sure. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 PM

Perhaps fuel sender issues?

I had an issue once where the needle would slowly creep down to a 1/4 tank at a stop light no matter how much fuel it had. Once I took off it would creep back to where the proper level.

It tuned out to be the sender (iirc), luckily it was under warranty at the time. Not sure if this helps at all.