Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Cheapest Scan Tool

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Cheapest Scan Tool

Greetings,

I am going to be doing a bunch of PCM swaps over the next year or so. I want to be able to perform the CASE relearn P1336 Crankshaft position relearn procedure. I don't need the scan tool to do anything else. What is the cheapest scan tool out there able to perform this procedure?

Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shandley
Greetings,

I am going to be doing a bunch of PCM swaps over the next year or so. I want to be able to perform the CASE relearn P1336 Crankshaft position relearn procedure. I don't need the scan tool to do anything else. What is the cheapest scan tool out there able to perform this procedure?
As in a scanner to monitor your engine? Or a scanner as in to modify the PCM codes?

First Question: Scangauge 2 (if you don't want to shell out $160-175, grab "Torque" or android market, or iOS appstore)

Second Question: I don't have any idea lol sorry man :-/

Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pretty sure you can only do that with a Tech-2, they are not cheap.

why a bunch of swaps? Why not just purchase tuning software

Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Pretty sure you can only do that with a Tech-2, they are not cheap.
You can do it with other scan tools, I asked my mechanic in advance before I installed my Overkill Tune in the event that I needed one (which I didn't). I don't remember the name of the one he has, but that one wasn't a cheap one, either.

But bottom line, a cheap one won't be able to do the relearns for you, they're really only good for clearing codes or monitoring various engine specs.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:04 AM

the aeroforce Interceptor not only scans but is able to do case learns now. they are like $250 new and you can find them used. I had a Scan gauge 2. I got it when my first aeroforce screen died because of many many hot florida summers. the aeroforce updates so much faster then the SG2. So i ended up sending in my AF to be repaired... something i should have done in the first place. there is just no replacement for the AF. If someone is going to be doing some heavy mods or tuning their car right to the edge of Knock. you must have one.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
the aeroforce Interceptor not only scans but is able to do case learns now. they are like $250 new and you can find them used. I had a Scan gauge 2. I got it when my first aeroforce screen died because of many many hot florida summers. the aeroforce updates so much faster then the SG2. So i ended up sending in my AF to be repaired... something i should have done in the first place. there is just no replacement for the AF. If someone is going to be doing some heavy mods or tuning their car right to the edge of Knock. you must have one.
Have you done the case relearn? I'm curious to know if you have succeeded at it and how difficult it was to do? I've been reading a lot of stuff online and haven't found a clear answer as to how easy and if it was successful. Please let us know more if you could, thanks.......

Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM

No I have not had to perform a case learn. Not only does my AF do the case learn, but my powertuner does it as well. From what I know the AF walks you thru the steps on the screen. I know you need to keep the rpm at 4,000 for a specific length of time and do what ever else it says. I plan to do a cam next year and will be replacing my cps along with timing chain, so I might need to do this some time. My understanding is that it isn't very hard to do.