Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Scan Tool Help

Old 04-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Default Scan Tool Help

I need a little help. I just had installed 1.9 rockers, 3.4 pulley, downpipe, magnaflows, CAI, 180 tstat, autolite 104's, and Front ported manifold. I borrowed a friends scan tool. it is Tech/Force 2 Diagnostic scanner. I need to know what readings i need to check out. I'm not familiar at all with this scanner. I did check KR and it was 0 at idle and light acceleration. Maxed out at 5 when floored through 3rd gear. What else do i need to check? Shouldn't i check timing or something? I only have the tool for another hour so any advice would help greatly. Remember i dont own this tool nor am i a mechanic so i'll just be winging it. If there is any different terminology i may need to know pleas post it. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2009, 04:13 PM

The only thing you really need to check, unless you are tuning it, would be the KR.
You'll usually only see KR under heavy throttle, but you still want to get it as close to 0 as possible at all times. The KR will actually pull timing, which slows down the car, and the knock that is setting of the KR readings just isn't good for the engine in the first place.

Unless you have a tuner, or a way to change timing then checking the timing isn't going to tell you much. The stock timing tables are set up in the PCM already, and the PCM adjusts the timing automatically based on the readings from several different sensors.
Usually when you get a tune, you would add timing where possible but if you are seeing KR then you really should be pulling timing if anything.

You should be able to reset the fuel trims with the Tech 2 if they weren't reset already. They'll adjust themselves fairly quickly (like 100 miles I think), but I imagine they are a bit skewed going from a stock pulley and rockers to the 3.4" pulley and the 1.9 rockers.
If you don't have the Tech 2 or another scan tool, you can reset the fuel trims by disconnecting the battery. If your mechanic had the battery disconnected while working then I would assume that the fuel trims were reset then.

-Riggs.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:15 PM

i put the 3.5 pulley on and KR max at 2 WOT. I guess intercooler would be a good next upgrade. That should take care of any current and future KR issues. Anything not so expensive i could do to be able to run the 3.4 with no KR? When i get it tuned should i use the 3.4 or 3.5? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 PM

Intercooler is a big jump in dollars. I recommend getting a tuner first and wideband. Doing all these mods really plays with PCM and the further you go from stock the bigger need there is to tune the vehicle.