Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

whether or not lowering changes ride????

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:41 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Get new struts and lowering springs, and stick them on in the summer. Change out for the stockers in the winter. Problem solved lol

Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 PM

As far as a rougher ride with the potholes and such; I wouldn't be real worried about that. I haven't felt any wbody springs that are really 'rough' in my opinion- they're all still very street driving oriented springs. Is it rougher- well of course; but its not like taking an F1 car on the streets or anything- the spring rates are still pretty low with aftermarket springs.

As far as if you can handle lowering the car 1-2" with snow and such- it really depends how clean they keep your area. I used to live in Indiana, and we always got tons of lake effect snow each winter- however, they also did a decent job of keeping the streets clean. I never had to drive through more than 3-4" of standing snow, even on the absolute worst days- and that was nowhere near enough to get me stuck- even if I were an inch or two lower- especially since there are all kinds of cars that have already driven through.

If in your area (especially if you live out in the boonies) they let the streets get built up with 4, 5, 6+ inches of snow regularly, then obviously any kind of lowering spring isn't going to be acceptable. Since we really don't know what your drive is like, its hard for us to say.

or you could go with true adjustable coilovers. you could bring those up in the winter and down in the summer in minutes. but they are pricey
This is a good point- I love the coilovers on my monte. You can really slam the thing out in the summer; and when winter hits, put it back to stock ride height (or a little higher even). They also don't have to be that expensive- there was a writeup on clubgp a year or two back about DIY coilovers; and IIRC they were doing them for like $600 or less for the whole car (obviously plus a little grinding and cutting and such; but nothing too hardcore).

Old 08-09-2010, 01:52 PM

thanks alot for everyone's input. your help is very much appreciated. to respond to the previous post, i would be driving through 3-4 inches tops, and if more then that, my car would be remaining parked. as for the gm performance handling package via gmpartsdirect.com, they have those listed as only fitting the 00-05 ss models, do they fit the 00-06 ls models?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I probably wouldn't do it for a year round driver, you will be pushing snow up with your air dam, stiffer ride, vibrations just on idle.

If your car needs new struts to begin with, just replacing those will tighten your suspension up a bunch, also some strut tower braces. You could be happy with just doing that?
thats the best way to go brother

Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 AM

Hey got a 2003 monte ls. Want to lower 3"s well just to where top of tire is covered ( how many inches?) but what would be the best way to go? Please post link. I'm not lazy just a newb. I need the whole kit. To where it's ready to bolt on. Pretend it was your car and post what you would do? Not so much going for handling just styling and still want a boat ride. Please give me your two scents

Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChrisWitBBD19
Hey got a 2003 monte ls. Want to lower 3"s well just to where top of tire is covered ( how many inches?) but what would be the best way to go? Please post link. I'm not lazy just a newb. I need the whole kit. To where it's ready to bolt on. Pretend it was your car and post what you would do? Not so much going for handling just styling and still want a boat ride. Please give me your two scents
If you want to slam the car and tuck the tires, you are going to either need coilovers or an air bag system.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Thank you. What's a good website for gaurrentted coilovers?

Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You'll have to do your research on other W-Body forums. Just google coilovers for Grand Prix / Regal / Monte Carlo / Impala etc. etc.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

zzperformance.com just came out with a coilover kit but idk how much it lowers it. I went with the SSC spring and KYB struts and with my tires too it dropp almost 3 after settleing.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Where can you get an air bag system for 6th gen montes. Ive tried searching for some but none for 6th gen montes

Quick Reply: whether or not lowering changes ride????