When do you replace your Shocks & Strut's ? - Page 3 - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Go Back  Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums > Your Ride > Tires/Rims/Suspension
Reload this Page >

When do you replace your Shocks & Strut's ?

Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you replace your Shocks & Strut's ?

Old 09-23-2017, 11:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What brand struts did you use?

Generally a bounce is caused by the gas leaking out of the strut cartridge leaving the load of the car on the coil springs. You might need to replace the rear struts too. A good test is to push down on whatever corner you're testing and see if there is more action than the car coming back to it's original position. When pushed down once the car should come back to the original position and not bounce again. Bad rear struts will give a bit of a "fishtail" effect at higher speeds.

Last edited by plumbob; 09-23-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:31 PM

I just did front and rear Monroes. Had to order springs separately - the local "DIY Garage" here in Denver did the work...yeah, paying a mechanic to replace them at a "DIY" shop is weird. But I don't mess with spring compressors! Car has 150K on it and they were all completely shot, original equipment. I'm also doing the steering rack, front hubs and ball joints so I don't have to go back into this thing again...and pay for just one front end alignment. The ride is amazing with just the struts/springs done so far.....tomorrow the hubs go in and two weeks the rack and ball joints......and I just added all new Eagle Sport AS tires....

Old 02-27-2018, 04:33 PM

Oh, and interestingly enough, when I bought the car with 99K miles, the tie rod ends had to be replaced and the tires were shot.....maybe someone did autocross with this thing!

Old 03-15-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by glasspilot View Post
You guys are going to think I'm nuts! I have 191,000 miles on my '99 Z34 with the original shocks! Honestly, when I do the shock test it does not bounce up and down. It still seems to ride just fine.
I have 115k on my 01 SS and I'm just now being told they need to be replaced.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by zabadu View Post
I have 115k on my 01 SS and I'm just now being told they need to be replaced.
Could be totally normal.. Mine has about 154k and I still dont need new ones..

Old 04-16-2018, 05:44 AM

What brand did you use? I used Monroe on 00 monte,(thought the ride was different from stock) got 60k now worn out after 10yrs (only driven in winter). Summer car 02 needs struts all around, seems to be varied opinions on brands?

Old 04-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 3MonteSS View Post
What brand did you use? I used Monroe on 00 monte,(thought the ride was different from stock) got 60k now worn out after 10yrs (only driven in winter). Summer car 02 needs struts all around, seems to be varied opinions on brands?
How was the ride different? Better or worse?

Old 04-18-2018, 09:52 AM
Default Ride of New Monroe Struts

From what I remember, they were OK but not like OEM. New OEM's are so expensive, so now the 2000 SS is an 18 yr old car,w/ 178K miles on it is WAS my winter car. The Monroe's lasted 72K but probably should have been replaced a couple of years ago. Now at the end of my use!

The 2002 SS has 120K Miles but has was never winter driven before this past winter. It's struts are shot! I am sad that I might not be keeping it, but still don't want to skimp on the struts. One last 8 week road trip this fall!
I want to try something different (Cheaper) many good buys on Ebay or RAuto. Has anyone used the ACDELCO Professional's (one down from the OEM's). Will keep the thread informed!

Old 04-21-2018, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 3MonteSS View Post
From what I remember, they were OK but not like OEM. New OEM's are so expensive, so now the 2000 SS is an 18 yr old car,w/ 178K miles on it is WAS my winter car. The Monroe's lasted 72K but probably should have been replaced a couple of years ago. Now at the end of my use!

The 2002 SS has 120K Miles but has was never winter driven before this past winter. It's struts are shot! I am sad that I might not be keeping it, but still don't want to skimp on the struts. One last 8 week road trip this fall!
I want to try something different (Cheaper) many good buys on Ebay or RAuto. Has anyone used the ACDELCO Professional's (one down from the OEM's). Will keep the thread informed!
Thanks for the warning on Monroe. Cross those babies off my list for eternity.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:33 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Default I recently replaced my tie rods and got an alignment

My car tends to wobble on the passenger side front when I go into a left curve it doesn't did the same thing when making a turn in the opposite direction it definitely shakes on both sides when I slow down I was told it could be warped rotors I need this fixed