Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Wheel spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Default Wheel spacer question

Hey guys so about to get my wheel spacers for the rear only, I want to get pretty big mm spacers to make the wheels flush with the fender. Just wondering if anyone else has done this before and also then lowered there car I plan to drop an inch plus my subs weight I am only nervous about my tires rubbing too much against the lip of the fender which sits farther down.
Thanks guys, jeff

Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is your wheel going to be completely flush with the fender?

You may run into a problem then if it is. If you do space the wheels make sure you do it the correct way with spacers that bolt to the current studs and then have all new studs. That will reduce the risk of busting one or more studs.

How do you plan on lowering? You may just want to lower the front if your subs are lowering you some already.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Hey man yea plan is to go full flush thinking about a 20-25 mm spacer and yea man I'm not cheapin out in my local they sell pretty expensive heavy duty wheel spacers exactly like your talking about use the existing studs with new ones over,
So yes that's why I'm nervous about too much rubbing that's kinda exactly what I was thinking dude dno what kind of springs I should use yet(any advice?) But plan is to lower the front and possibly get gm stock replacement for the allrdy sagging rear or possibly the 1 inch rear hightening springs idk what do you think?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Wheel adaptors

I have 3/4" wheel adaptors in the rear of my car. That's about 20MM. That put the tire and wheel inside the wheel well so slight it is almost flush with the fender exactly - I have a 2007 SS. There is about 1-1/2" worth of clearance from the top of the tire to the fender. I have 500# adjustable springs in the rear with no rubbing issues. Non-adjustable stock springs from the factory are about 250# with tire to fender clearance I think about 2-1/4". I had my aluminum adaptors fitted with pressed in steel sleeves to make them both hubcentric on the back to the hub and hubcentric to the wheel just as if it were exactly fitted like the factory hub to wheel fit. Once the adaptor is bolted to the hub you have to check for run-out to insure against spinning the wheel and tire combination out of round and if run out is more than .004" try moving the adaptor to another position until you come close to the .004" run out factor (this should be easily achieved if the adaptors were machined flat and parallel). The sleeves should also fit both the factory hub and the wheel within .004" for a proper fit - not a pressed fit but snug. I also used ARP studs on the factory hub and on the adaptor as well. Hope this helps.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Amazing answer man thanks a lot for that

Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 PM

Hey guys so got the spacers thought I'd show an update of how they turned out I was really happy with the quality heavy duty aluminum I went with 30mm which is pretty big but I love them ill get some farther away pictures up soon too, and allrdy noticed it rubbed once leaving the gasstation allrdy haha oh well

Before

After

Before

After