Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): What Brand/model tires do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Nope, that was exactly the tire I was thinking of. Where I got confused is when you said it was also a 00 treadwear tire. 0/00 tires are typically racing tires, drag radials, etc. So that's why I was surprised to hear you would be breaking them loose so bad on the street.

Not that you can compare across brands, but the RSA in the link is a 260 treadwear all season. That makes a lot more sense that the grip isn't that great with them, all season tires aren't usually all that great for performance. Im not surprised they're not holding up well either, 260 treadwear is pretty low from a company that has 600+ treadwear tires available.

Going to a dedicated summer tire can help open up your options if you want better grip, but you'll still pay for it in longevity of the tire (although the he mileage you got from these is as bad as some of the modern 'sticky' tires anyways).

My mistake (enjoy THOSE words, as you may never see them again). When I saw "00 treadwear," I assumed you were referring to the zero treadwear warranty, which, you'll see, is precisely what they have.

This is Florida. I don't believe you can find "summer" and "winter" tires in any retail location in this state. It hasn't snowed since 1977, and it rains in December, so all tires are all-season.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 96z34man
This is Florida. I don't believe you can find "summer" and "winter" tires in any retail location in this state. It hasn't snowed since 1977, and it rains in December, so all tires are all-season.
Actually, that's an ideal location for summer only tires, and I'd bet that numerous tire stores out there carry them. The only difference between summer only and all season tires is all seasons can also be driven in snow. If you don't need to drive in snow or extreme cold then you don't need an all season tire, hence my reccomendation...

Old 02-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Ohtsu FP7000 (made by Falken).....they have a fairly aggressive tread pattern and a nice mileage rating and I think mine are V rated as I'm doing some mods but you can also get them H speed rated.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 96z34man
A 30K mile warranty, and you have "all good things to say?" Really? 30K?

I personally would never touch a Michelin since one disintegrated (and I don't mean "fell apart," I mean literally disintegrated, as in disappeared, as in nothing left but rim) on my gf's Mercedes while she was driving on SR 528 at just over the speed limit. But if I'd never had that experience, I still would not use my money to buy a tire with a 30K warranty.
First of all, don't speculate based on a number mister know-it-all. Just because it's a 30k tire doesn't mean it's a crappy one - you're not comparing apples to apples. A summer tire is not on the same playing field as an all-season tire. All-seasons provide a wide range of capabilities the average driver needs while summer tires are for agility, speed and responsiveness. Summer tires have a specialized compound of rubber and less tread grooving to give maximum contact (more grip) with the road. They aren't dubbed summer tires just because of the weather and I guarantee you can find them in Florida.

Second, I only drive my car 2k, maybe 3k, miles a year at most and I'm not racing it so tire wear isn't an issue for me. They're also super quiet compared to any all-season I've experienced. So yes, personally, for what I get out of it and how it's worn for me up to this point, I'm impressed and have good things to say.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 02-20-2017 at 10:57 AM.