Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

A warning to those considering larger tire sizes on 7th gen's

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A warning to those considering larger tire sizes on 7th gen's

Over the summer I purchased a set of 18x9 Bullitt rims, and 255/45-18 Nitto tires. The rims themselves have a 34mm offset.
This being said, I noticed something had been cutting into the sidewalls of my rear tires. Thought about what could have caused it, and thought back to hitting a speed bump that came out of no where in an unfamilar part of town. I cussed and apologized to my car afterwards, but realized that in the inner fender well the rear body is just rolled in 90 degrees, and was the culprit. In normal situations, this wouldnt cause a problem, but where the speed bump snuck up on me and I hit it rather hard causing a lot of wheel travel, and thus the problem.

As far as any other clearance issues there are none, but I will definitely be taking my car to a body shop before putting that set back on once the weather is nicer so that I don't continue to tear up my tires, luckily the damages thus far are only cosmetic.

Just wanted everyone to be aware of the situation, hopefully I can save some a headache, or answer questions about that size of tire and rim combo fitting.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Good to know. I was wanting to put 255-45-18's on my new rims. They have a 40 offset. Whats your opinion on that? Is the 40 better or worse for me? What is the stock offset on the SS wheel?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:59 AM

Hi Dustin,
Thanks for posting & sharing your information about your problem. "We live & hopefully learn from the mistakes we make" I hope that you can resolve the problem without to much expense....Good Luck

Old 01-18-2012, 05:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Thanks for sharing !

Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 77gp
Good to know. I was wanting to put 255-45-18's on my new rims. They have a 40 offset. Whats your opinion on that? Is the 40 better or worse for me? What is the stock offset on the SS wheel?
A +40mm offset will place the face of the wheel 6mm further under the car versus a +34mm offset, so you will have more clearance between the wheel and fender well.

There are 3 types of offset: Positive, Neutral and Negative. Offset is measured from the hub where the lug nut holes are to the true centerline of the wheel. A positive offset increases the distance and moves the wheel further under the vehicle. Negative offset reduces the distance and moves the wheel further out from under the vehicle. With a neutral offset wheel the hub is aligned with the centerline of the wheel with equal distance on both sides if it.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its rubbing the fender? You just need to get them rolled. It's a really common mod and I'm surprised it wasn't done right away with that kind of offset.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
A +40mm offset will place the face of the wheel 6mm further under the car versus a +34mm offset, so you will have more clearance between the wheel and fender well.

There are 3 types of offset: Positive, Neutral and Negative. Offset is measured from the hub where the lug nut holes are to the true centerline of the wheel. A positive offset increases the distance and moves the wheel further under the vehicle. Negative offset reduces the distance and moves the wheel further out from under the vehicle. With a neutral offset wheel the hub is aligned with the centerline of the wheel with equal distance on both sides if it.
Exactly, I would say with the 40mm offset you would have less worries about the problem I have, however there isn't a ton of room to spare in other areas as well, you may be cautious in watching clearance with the inner fender well and suspension, especially on the front.

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Its rubbing the fender? You just need to get them rolled. It's a really common mod and I'm surprised it wasn't done right away with that kind of offset.
Yes, and exactly, I will be getting them rolled this spring, just the one thing I over looked when I checked everything out clearance wise after putting the new wheels and tires on.

Last edited by DuSSt; 01-18-2012 at 11:52 AM.