Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

TSW Tremblant Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by budweiser2983
I have 255 tires and that is plenty wide. Honestly its just extra weight, and will probably go back to 245 when these wear out.
I'm gonna put 275/40/19 on the rear...

Old 12-18-2013, 07:41 PM

Wheels are beautiful.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Pretty nice looking rims. I dont mind them at all. I am not one for messing with rim size and tire size too much but I would get the same size all around especially with it being FWD.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Having the staggered rims and putting that much extra weight in the rear isn't adding anything, with all of that contact patch on the rear, I would say you are actually going to hinder the performance of the FWD V8.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:21 PM

I understand your position, but I don't think it applies here.

The rear wheel & tire combo will only add 15-20lbs per side...not an extreme amount, and certainly not enough to cause any drivability issues. The rear wheel/tire combo would be 1.5" wider, which is exactly how much room there is available to bring the wheels to the edge of the wheel well opening...just filling up the space and not bringing it any closer to the suspension.

I don't race the Monte, just cruise and commute, so any performance reduction (I don't believe there would be any), is irrelevant for me. The V8 Monte Carlo has so much torque, I don't see how putting a slightly wider wheel/tire on the rear would make a noticeable difference....Now if I was putting a wider, heavier combo up front, that would be an issue.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

I would think a 9.5 inch rim and tire would come close to rubbing in the rears but I could be wrong. When I bought mine I went with 8" wide so I didnt have to worry about anything haha

Old 12-20-2013, 06:50 PM

What did you just say? - was in response to a member who has since been banned...

I know perfectly well the difference between fwd & rwd, having had plenty of each over the years. I plan on installing 19's - all the way around...btw - how much did your 20's cost?

"Starting in about 2004 car manufacturers introduced more and more cars that were designed to take wider wheels on the back of the car. This became know as a staggered wheel application. Today, TSW Alloy Wheels makes the largest range of staggered wheels in the world. Many sizes carry three different widths to provide an array of fitment options. TSW has staggered wheels in sizes from 17" through 22". In 2011 TSW began to manufacture many of its wheels using a highly advanced production technique called rotary forging. The rim of the wheels is forged at high pressure while the wheel is spun at high speed. This alters the molecular structure and enhances the strength of the alloy. The benefit is a much lighter weight than a regular cast wheel. The weight saving is in the outer rim of the wheel which dramatically reduces rotational mass and enhances vehicle performance."

The 19x9.5" rear wheels are the exact same cost as the 19x8". The rear tires are $40 more, total. I want the tires to be the same height front & rear, as they should be, so the 275/40/19 (10.8" wide) rear just happens to be the height match for the 245/45/19 (9.6" wide) front.

Instead of viewing a fwd car as a mechanical thing, why not look at the car itself and ask yourself if the setup would look aesthetically correct. The fact that the Monte is fwd is irrelevant. It would look ridiculous if I were to put the 9.5" wheels up front and the 8" in the rear. Have you had a close look at the 7th gen Monte rear wheel wells? They are quite large. Why have such a fat rear end, but then tuck the tires in, leaving a huge overhang? You can't even see the stock rear tires as you look straight down the side of the car. Just sayin'...

Last edited by SSilver; 02-11-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:30 PM

Those are sweet get 'em!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 PM

Not sure you uderstand fwd vs rwd, rear traction is even more critical on a fwd. If you lose traction in the rear of an fwd, how do you regain control? You cant exactly blip the throttle to bring it back. Plus at least 60% of the weight is on the front wheels. Why do you think they say to put the best pair of tires on the rear?
Originally Posted by budweiser2983
If I saw the set up you want, I would laugh. Sorry to be honest, only trying to help. Your thoughts are pointless. If you prefer to spend money on larger tires/wheels in the rear, on a FWD car, go for it, dude. I don't race either, that is why I got 20's, ALL THE WAY AROUND. I dont believe you understand FWD vs. RWD. Waste of money. Get 22's dude, that's the point.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 PM

Basically go with the staggered sizes

Quick Reply: TSW Tremblant Wheels