Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Traction Active?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:07 AM
1 Year Member
Default Traction Active?

Alright so i posted something similar to this because the service traction soon light came on. Well i resolved that issue by replacing the right front wheel hub. But now as i take off occasionally the "traction Active" light will come on and ill hear grinding from the wheels. What could this be? Could it be that the wire harness was the problem instead? My next plan is to just replace the other hub and both wire harnesses if i dont get any help.

Last edited by ecosta221; 08-11-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you are going to replace the harness on the left side, you need to do the when hub assembly. It comes as a set with the speed sensor incorporated into the the hub. I've heard/Reed that replacing only the speed sensor is hard and rarely works right.
As for the grinding, is it coming from the right wheel,left wheel or both?
Grinding from a wheel can indicate a couple of things, bad bearing, CV joint, axle. How did the CVJoint boot look when you did the right side?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 AM
1 Year Member

The boot looked fine. When i said it grinded i meant it only happened when the message box said Traction Active. Also what i mean by the wheel speed harness is the wire that comes seperate from the hub. Its the wire thats still attached to the car once you remove the hub from it.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member

Oh, That's different. But I'm betting the grinding is causing the traction active light to turn on. Have you check your brakes lately! Sound to me like Something is going on with the wheel on that side. Normally the traction control only activated when the speed of one drive wheel is greatly different from the other.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 PM
1 Year Member

Thats why im thinking its the harness. Yea i changed the brakes not long ago on all 4 wheels myself. It happens less often after i changed the hub itself actually. The "Service Traction Soon" light has only come on once since then. And the "Traction Active" light only comes on when its first put i to gear. Then after that it stops completely. Thats why i think its the harness because when i hooked up a Tech II scanner the codes were both right front speed sensor codes. One was for excessive reading and the other was a short in the system. Thats why i changed the hub because 1. The hub was already going (it had play in it) so i needed to change it regardless. 2. I thought the wire was worn out or broken. Well now the problem still arises so thats why im replacing the wire harness on it. Im hoping that fixes the problem. Im also changing my fuel filter since the previous owner never did and its probably clogged and the transmission filter and fluid as well because its burnt. Along with the other front hub and harness as well.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:22 PM
1 Year Member

The trans. filter and fluid im doing tomorrow in my garage but the rest i have to wait until saturday because i dont have the right size socket for the hub knut and i dont have the tools to splice the harnesses and i dont do fuel limes on jacks either. Too risky and very little leverage.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member

I rented a hub removal kit from Pepboy's for $79 and got that back when I returned it. It had the 31mm and 33mm suocket in it. Then I bought a puller from them for $17 and added that to my tool collection.

Last edited by JC Colon; 08-12-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:44 AM
1 Year Member

I might need to buy a kit like that since im attending UTI for the summer. I want to be a technician so all this stuff getting done to my car helps my training haha

Old 08-13-2013, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member

You might Wabbit, You might!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If a sensor 'detects' that a wheel is spinning (whether it is or not) then the 'trac active' light will come on. This is normal. It means the traction control system is regulating the amount of power to that wheel in an effort to prevent it from spinning. What isn't normal is the grinding sound. Are you still getting the codes from the wheel hub after changing it? Did you use a good quality (AC Delco/Timken/SKF) hub?

Quick Reply: Traction Active?