Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): tire tread running fast

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default tire tread running fast

i have a feeling it has something to do with my alignment, but i think it would be better to replace suspension parts before i get one. right now it seems that my front 2 tires wear pretty fast...im talking like every 3 months....i do get used tires but they do have good tread. i know the sway bar needs to be replaced....possibly the passenger cv axel to. tranny fluid seems to be leaking from that side.What are some other parts to replace to help with that or how do i check if they bad?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your Sway bar should not need replacing unless you were in an accident. Sway bar End Link Bushings and Maybe you Sway bar bushings should be looked at! Ball joints, tie rods, struts, control arm bushings, these are the components I would look at. With special attention to the bushings. And make sure you use all season tires. Summer, Dry weather, tires will ware faster than all seasons. And at a speed rating that matches or exceeds your normal driving habits.

Last edited by JC Colon; 07-05-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Your Sway bar should not need replacing unless you were in an accident. Sway bar End Link Bushings and Maybe you Sway bar bushings should be looked at! Ball joints, tie rods, struts, control arm bushings, these are the components I would look at. With special attention to the bushings. And make sure you use all season tires. Summer, Dry weather, tires will ware faster than all seasons. And at a speed rating that matches or exceeds your normal driving habits.
i wasnt in an accident with this car, but ive noticed near the sway bar bushings there is a crack/hole in the bar, i jacked the car up one time and a buttload of water came out 0f it. imma get the solid bar. imma google a way to check all of these things

Old 07-07-2013, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member

Dang! That's terrible! Never had any kind of trouble with a Sway Bar itself.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:46 AM

My tires were wearing real fast, and I am talking in two weeks, and theiy were real good tires. I went to an alighnment shop, and I was told that my strut was bent. I looked myself, and I did not see where it was bent. But I could tell something was wrong, due to the camber being real bad. But I got some kind of kit to make the tire sit more toward, "0". But I still get a lot of road noise. I would check all that was mentioned. And definately get the struts replaced. It is a good possibility that it is just an alighnment issue. I jacked up my car and saw some cracks around the bushings on the suspension. I was just thinking of replacing every componant of my suspension, since the car is getting old.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member

yea i was deff gonna get a set of quick struts to replace...its weird on the passenger side the bolts that connect the knuckle to the strut are almost oval shaped insted of hex..... i do from time to time suspect that the car was in an accident before tho

Old 07-07-2013, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member

I just did all 4 Quick Struts. CompleteStruts.com all 4 for just under $300.
All 4 struts should have Pins with nuts on the end. You need at least a 3 pound sledge hammer to bang then out. The rears are Hard to bang out due to space. And you need a hex driver for the Sway bar bolt. But I don't remember the size. The shape you described for those pins is right.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
I just did all 4 Quick Struts. CompleteStruts.com all 4 for just under $300.
All 4 struts should have Pins with nuts on the end. You need at least a 3 pound sledge hammer to bang then out. The rears are Hard to bang out due to space. And you need a hex driver for the Sway bar bolt. But I don't remember the size. The shape you described for those pins is right.
I was lookin on rockauto.com and I saw original quality and economy struts both from monroe....what's the difference?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member

Couldn't tell you. The ones I got were made for the SS. ALLC I can tell you for sure is that I love the ride quality.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:23 PM

Front Sway Bars will break. Here is what happened to mine as I replaced it this July 4th weekend.

I did a brake job about a month ago and saw a hole in my sway bar. When I unbolted it, half the flange just fell off.

I replaced the front with "GMPP Kit - Heavy Duty Front Sway Bar w/ bushings and end links" (GM p/n 12498643).... purchased from Summit Racing because of free shipping of $75 order or more. I opted to use Moog front bushings instead (Moog p/n K80815).... purchased from O'Reilly

Also replaced the rear with a GM Grand Prix Comp G Solid Sway Bar (GM p/n 10351314)... purchase from GM Parts Direct

Last edited by KCFITZ78; 07-08-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): tire tread running fast