Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Tire Size Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 PM

what i mean the you will notice the smaller size of tire is you will notice the rime poking out and wanting to break the bead and having a tire that wont do that would be a 230 not a 225 see if you can get a 230/45/18 you will be happy with that

Old 11-30-2009, 05:27 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yea it really makes no difference barely. If 1 mph makes you mad then thats just being picky. Also I like 225 on a 235 rim, stretched tires are the shizznits.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:40 PM

its really asking for an accident really 225 on a 235 rim when i was in va i have seen so many accedents do to improper width tire on a rim

Old 11-30-2009, 10:22 PM

i dont think 225 is to small for a 7in rim. i wouldnt run it just because i want to go bigger then the factory size.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:35 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Go pic up some junkyard tires and rims, so you dont have to worry about balancing all the time lol.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

A bigger tire will but more strain on your transmission, and essentaily gear your car higher, making it slightly slower.

I thought the first number in tire size (225/60/16) The first number being 225, was the width. The second number is the height (thickness of the tire) and the last number is the rim size. This said, a 225/50/18 would be the same height as your OEM tires, just narrower, therefore not affecting your revolutions at all, and not affecting your gearing ratio, which will have no ill affects on the transmission.

If it was me, I would stay away from the 225/55/18 size. I think the 225/50/18 would fit just fine.

225 tires are good for rims between 6 and 8 inches wide.
235 tires are good for rims between 6.5 and 8.5 inches wide.

Here is some informatin to back up my thoughts from Tire Racks Website:

Section Width

Following the letter(s) that identify the type of vehicle and/or type of service for which the tire was designed, the three-digit numeric portion identifies the tire's "Section Width" (cross section) in millimeters.
P225/50R16 91S
The 225 indicates this tire is 225 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the 225mm can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).
225mm / 25.4 = 8.86"
Sidewall Aspect Ratio

Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.
P225/50R16 91S
The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.
Internal Construction

A letter (R in this case) that identifies the tire's internal construction follows the two digits used to identify the aspect ratio.
P225/50R16, P225/50ZR16
The R in the P225/50R16 91S size identifies that the tire has a Radial construction in which the tire's body plies "radiate" out from the imaginary center of the wheel. Radial tires are by far the most popular type of tire today representing over 98% of all tires sold.
If the R in the size was replaced with a D (225/50D16), it would identify that the internal tire body plies crisscross on a Diagonal and that the tire has a "bias ply" construction. Tires using this construction are for light truck and spare tire applications.
If the R in the size was replaced with a B (225/50B16), it would identify that the tire body plies not only crisscross the tire on a diagonal as before, but that they are reinforced with belts under the tread area. This type of tire construction is called "Belted." Tires using this construction are practically extinct.
The European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation (ETRTO) has adopted branding standards that allowed tire manufacturers to identify tires with self-supporting run-flat constructions within the tire size designation. Self-supporting run-flat tires may be identified with the letter F immediately following the traditional letter identifying tire construction (such as the R designating radial) within the size.
This results in size designations such as 225/45RF17 91Y (for self-supporting run-flat tires that have a speed rating identified in their Service Description and 255/40ZRF20 (for Z-speed rated self-supporting run-flat tires in which the speed rating is contained in the tire size).
Since this tire size designation was adopted well after the introduction of self-supporting run-flat tires into the marketplace, self-supporting run-flat tires introduced and produced before it went into effect will not be required to be branded as such.
Speed Rating

Today, the only tires that continue to include the speed rating "in" the tire size (P225/50ZR16) are Z-speed rated tires. In this case, following the two digits used to identify the aspect ratio are the letters ZR to identify the tire's speed rating (Z) and its internal construction (R). Since 1991, all other speed ratings are identified in the tire's Service Description (which will be covered shortly).
Tire and Wheel Diameter
P225/50R16 91S
The 16 indicates the tire and wheel diameter designed to be matched together.
Tires that have a rim diameter expressed in inches (P225/50R16, as well as 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 26 and 28) are called "inch rim" sizes, are the most common type of tire size and are used on most cars, minivans, vans, sport utility vehicles and light duty light trucks.
While not as common, two additional "unique" types of tire/wheel diameters are still in use today.
Tires and wheels that have a rim diameter expressed in "half" inches (8.00R16.5LT, as well as, 14.5, 15.5, 17.5 and 19.5) are used on some heavy-duty trailers, heavy-duty light trucks and box vans.
Tires and wheels that have a rim diameter expressed in millimeters (190/65R390, as well as, 365 and 415) are called millimetric sizes. Michelin initiated millimetric sizes for their TRX tires that saw limited use on many different car models in the late 1970s and 1980s.
Michelin PAX System run flat tires have been introduced as an integrated wheel/tire system on a very limited basis as Original Equipment (O.E.) in North America. An example PAX System size of 235/710R460A 104T expresses tire and wheel dimensions in millimeters (235 mm Section Width, tire Overall Diameter of 710 mm and a 460A mm rim diameter, with the "A" in 460A signifying these tires feature "asymmetric" beads in which the outside bead (450 mm) and inside bead (470 mm) are actually different diameters.
All of these "unique" tire/wheel diameters were developed specifically because the tire and wheel design or intended vehicle use required them to be different than conventional tires and wheels. All of these tires and wheels feature bead profiles that have a different shape than traditional "inch rim" sizes.
Tires and wheels with unique rim diameters should never be combined with traditional "inch rim" tires and wheels.
It is critical that the tire and wheel diameters are always confirmed to match before the tire is mounted on the wheel.
Service Description
P225/50R16 91S
The 91S represents the tire's Service Description. A Service Description identifies the tire's Load Index and Speed Rating. Service Descriptions are required on all speed rated (except for Z-speed rated) tires manufactured since 1991. For more information on Service Descriptions, click here.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Thanks for all the input everyone. I've decided on the 225/55/18 based on the following...

They're listed directly on their site as an optional tire size for my vehicle, and the link that reads "What are These Sizes For?" tells the following:

"Many people keep the same wheels and tires that came with their vehicle. Others choose to add a level of personalization and enhance performance of their vehicle by installing new wheels and tires. This is commonly referred to as "Plus Sizing". When installing wheels that are 1" larger in diameter than the original wheels, this is called "Plus One". A wheel that is 2" larger would be "Plus Two", and so on. Since the original tires will not fit the larger wheels, new tires must be installed in the appropriate size. A "Plus Zero" application refers to installing a different size tire, say, slightly wider than the original tires, but for the original equipment wheel diameter. Depending on how much wider the tires are, this may require the purchase of new wheels."

Here's a link to the tires: CLICK

Old 12-01-2009, 09:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad you got it worked out, and they ARE just for winter driving, so it's not like you will be driving crazy on these tires anyway

Old 12-01-2009, 09:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Rick, I thought you said you were purachsing these tire for your stock wheels, which are the 18's. Therefore your would not need a plus anything, just OEM.

And yes, assuming you have the wheel well clearence for the 55's, you will be fine. But, it will make you have fatter tire, which IS harder on your tranny! Honestly, probably nothing to the extent that it will do any tranny damage, because one size up is not much. But it is there...

Old 12-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Glad you got it worked out, and they ARE just for winter driving, so it's not like you will be driving crazy on these tires anyway
That's a fact.
Originally Posted by MAMONTE
Rick, I thought you said you were purachsing these tire for your stock wheels, which are the 18's. Therefore your would not need a plus anything, just OEM.

And yes, assuming you have the wheel well clearence for the 55's, you will be fine. But, it will make you have fatter tire, which IS harder on your tranny! Honestly, probably nothing to the extent that it will do any tranny damage, because one size up is not much. But it is there...
They will be going on my stock 18" wheels, however, I didn't find a nice tire that I was interested in for a good price in OEM size. I sure hope they won't rub, but if they do I'll just have them removed and ordered in my second size choice. If they do rub, it'll be Discount Tires fault as well based on the fact that they're an "optional" tire size.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Tire Size Dilemma