Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Suggestions for a new suspension on a 96 z34

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:03 AM
Default Suggestions for a new suspension on a 96 z34

My monte rides pretty rough right now, if my passenger rear tire hits a bump it makes a clunk noise (i originally thought it was just something rolling around in the trunk but i pulled everything out and it's fine now...)

I usually feel every bump going down the road and i've never really dealt with suspension, I'm curious if this would be a job to take to a mechanic or if doing it my self would be too incredibly difficult. (i changed the front struts on my eclipse but left the rears alone with no hassle, but i'm not entirely sure how to even remove the rear struts...)

Any suggestions on a good suspension setup that would make the car ride nice and smooth? or could my issues be due to something else?

I plan on putting new tires on the car soon and getting a set of 16" factory chevy rims (if anyone knows where i can get a set just like these brand new that'd be great and whether or not they will fit the car these were on the 98 z34s i believe..)

or a nice set of 17's that would fit my car.

Last edited by Cschlue; 01-16-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The rear struts arent hard to do at all. The towers are in the trunk. 3 bolts up top and I believe 2 bolts at the bottom and the strut is out. The fronts are whats hard. The strut and the knuckle are all one piece so you have to tear pretty deep into the front suspension to get them out. You also need a special tool to get the nut loose at the top of the strut. I believe you can rent it from autozone tho.

As for suspension, you could use your stock springs with KYB GR2 struts or monroe sensa trac struts. Alot of people use the KYBs and love them but the sensatracs are good too. The KYBs are more geared toward performance and the monroes give you a real nice ride. If you wanted to lower the car I believe intrax and eibach make lowering springs for our cars.

The wheels you pictured will fit your car no problem. They are just a different design on the 98-99.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:04 AM

Any suggestions on a good suspension setup that would make the car ride nice and smooth?
New OEM parts to replace whatever is broken on yours (ie struts/springs, etc). All the performance aftermarket suspension parts are going to make the car stiffer than stock.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 AM

I have a 96 lumina that started making an annoying metallic clunking sound from the rear suspension. As it turns out, the protective plastic coating on the rear springs had become brittle from age, fallen off, and as the spring would compress, the metal on metal contact of the coil would make a clunking noise. Being a cheap ***, I just stuck some black plastic flexile pipe around the area of the offending coils and kept on driving.