Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Strut Tower Brace

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Strut Tower Brace

So, I am torn right now when it comes to my Monte Carlo wish list. I really want a strut tower brace for it. And here's where I am torn....

I installed the UMI Performance rear trailing arms. I like what I've seen of UMI so far (I've seen a lot of their F-body parts, construction looks great, heck my neighbor used a lot of UMI parts on a '91-'92 Z28 he modded for a friend of his and he RAVES about UMI's catalog). I would *really* like to stick with UMI for suspension, but sadly they don't offer anything additional for the W-body.

I e-mailed UMI and they state they plan on more stuff for the future with the W-Body platform, but as of now, can't say what and when. Of course me being me suggested a Strut Tower brace (the guy I e-mailed with said he'd suggest it in their next meeting).

Right now I think think they don't have a lot of demand for the W-Body, hence why little to no movement (I think anyone else interested in UMI STB's should kick them an e-mail and ask about it)....

So, I'm torn on how long do I wait on UMI vs go get a BMR brace. I figure if UMI doesn't kick a STB this year then next year my wish list of Monte parts will probably say "BMR" for an STB...

Old 06-27-2010, 02:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

How about the ZZP braces? I have both front and back. 4140 welded steel construction. The front olt spread was slightly off and needed to be modified for the MC, but the rear bolted right up.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

For a 3800 powered car, I would recommend the ZZP STB, you will probably have to do some grinding/ drilling out on the holes to make it fit, but it fits well once you do the tweaks to make it fit.

The GM STB is also good, but then you need to buy brackets, or make your own, which can be a pain.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:37 AM

Hey, sorry to go off topic but I have a question about the stb. Mine came with it and I have drove with it off and didnt feel a difference... Why not?? Whaat exactly does this do>

Old 06-28-2010, 09:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Hey, sorry to go off topic but I have a question about the stb. Mine came with it and I have drove with it off and didnt feel a difference... Why not?? Whaat exactly does this do>
It minimizes body roll while driving.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
You probably were not driving really hard. If you are up on a twisty mountain road, pushing the car to its limits, you will notice a slight difference in how well the car handles in tight turns at speed.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 PM

My Monte Carlo has the BMR strut tower braces. They look beautiful.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/W-Body.htm

there was no installation problems at all, and they do package deals so you can save some $$$.

Also, there is an additional color available, Black Hammertone - which I have, and its really nice in the engine bay. You can also special order a no-paint/no powdercoat hardware and have it painted another color you would rather have when you receive it. If I remember correctly, there was a small discount for a non-painted/coated set of braces.

Last edited by davidk67; 06-28-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 06-28-2010, 04:56 PM

Hey, thanks. Yeah, was just normal driving didnt do nothing crazy. Good to know.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

My friends will tell you, I can drive a little crazy :-)
Rush hour morning commutes have made me nuts sometimes. Better handling is a PLUS for me (granted, the Monte does a great job, but, hey, I wanna go a little beyond straight stock if I can).

Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 PM

doesn't GM performance make em too, cause i've been waiting to purchase their handling kit which comes with them for awhile now. but would you guys recommend a different aftermarket brand such as the zzp pieces over the GM pieces.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...ber=pk12456148

and while i'm on the topic, do any of you guys think buying seperate aftermarket parts beats out bying GM's full kit, cause i've read mixed reviews for GM not offering trailing arms anymore, and about their front sway bar.

anyone with advice or an opinion, please share

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Brace