Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Strut Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009
Default Strut Bar Question

Will a Strut Bar from zzp performance for a grand prix 97-03 work on a monte carlo that is 2006?

Its just the strut bar will it fit?

Thanks for the info

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=626&catid=138

Old 05-04-2009, 02:41 PM

Just a thought.. get the gm one, and use don romes brackets so you dont have to drill.

http://www.drcustomparts.com/HomePage.htm

A little cheaper.

As to answer the first question, i think so, but i am not positive.

I have the gm one, and Dons brackets on my 03, and it definately made a difference.. tighter in the corners.

Last edited by 03SSdriver; 05-04-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: can't type
Old 05-04-2009, 04:42 PM

You don't have to drill anything for the zzp braces either.
They are actually a similar bracket to the one don rome makes, but welded to a solid CrMo bar. They also just mount onto the strut tower studs.

I believe that Wayne (RocknSS) is using the zzp stb's on the front, but that he had to open up the holes a bit. I think he said that they were just about 1/4" short on the front. I'm sure he'll chime in and give you the details.
I was going to go with the zzp braces, but found a set of the speedbuilt ones (similar to the bmr braces) used for a bit less.

-Riggs.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:03 PM

BMR strut tower braces will increase the handling capabilities of your Grand Prix by eliminating strut tower deflection and increasing chassis rigidity. BMR provides the strongest braces by far in the market as shown in the images below. Built with 1/4" wall thickness 1-1/8" CNC machined aluminum tube and laser cut 3/16" steel mounting plates, you can be sure that quality and strength has not been compromised. Available in Black Hammertone or red powdercoat.'97-05 models only. NOTE: rear strut tower brace will not fit 04-05 Grand Prix. All STB will fit 00-05 Monte Carlo/Impalas (all models

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/W-Body.htm

the bmr strut bar would work for my o6 right?

would you go with the zzp strut bar in chrome or the bmr strut bar?

also the zzp is cheaper by half the price but would the bmr be better designed and made or no big difference?

I would like to do a rear strut bar but I have a stereo back there so I don't think one will fit so should I do a rear sway bar and front strut bar? to get great handeling through turns and on the track?

What do you think I should install for handeling strut bar or rear and front sway bar or a frnt strut bar and rear sway bar?

Please post opinions and gratefully appreciated, learning this part of my car lol

Old 05-04-2009, 07:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes, I have both front and rear ZZP strut braces. The back is a bolt in, and the front will be if you ask them to open them up to fit the Montes by 1/8" per end. And I have a big stereo system in the back. Works fine. It's high and out of the way.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

I have the zzp red strut brace in the front, and i had to open it up a little on the corners, no biggie. just took a drill bit to it and got it installed in about 15 minutes. paint didnt chip or anything, looks great. gotta love powdercoating.
i think if your debating between the bmr or zzp, go with whatever is cheapest. honestly they are both good, made solid. you wouldnt notice a difference between the bmr and the zzp one.

just get rid of your factory stamped steel piece of crap, and if you want, throw that on your back strut towers if you dont have one on their already. should fit fine. there should be some factory holes for the rear STB already in the trunk. use the same brackets from the front and put it on.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Thanks for that response now I am happy I can do the back brace as well, I really want to but wasn't sure because of the sub box.

any opionion on the bmr strut bars?

also would ift be a benefit to install the strut bars and install the sway bars, what would the car be like with both of them installed and on at the same time?

or do you just need a set of strut bars and it will do almost the same as the sway bars?

is there a big difference in the gmmp sway bars once installed?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

correct me if im wrong guys, but you would only want to upgrade the rear sway bar to a thicker bar since we are front wheel drive, due to understeer correct?

still learning more about this subject and our cars.

if you wanna help your ride out in cornering, best bet is lowering springs. i have the eibachs with KYB GR2 struts, couldnt be happier.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:35 PM

I am happy with my eibach kit but I did drift one day lol,

Yea getting on the freeway here its a wide turn took it at 50-60mph I thought my springs would keep me straight in and out boy was I wrong, I tgo into the corner fast and led off the gas through the turn and I came drifting out and in the second lane and then when I corrected my steer punching the gas to straighten out I corrected perfectly and a little to my right I f I hadn't corrected out correctly I would have been in the gravel on the side, Yea I know not to take turns too fast and glad I have gotten good at driving my car but after lowering the ca wanted to see what it was like through the turn but need to correct not drifting or widening my turn. want to keep my turns straight like NASCAR LOL!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 PM

NO CARS WERE AROUND AND I AM NOT reckless driver just was testing out the lowering kit with a wide turn, learned my lesson, would like to go through a turn and keep it tight though

Quick Reply: Strut Bar Question