Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Steering Issue strange sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Steering Issue strange sound

Recently I had changed my front struts. Soon after this my Monte Carlo SS 2002 started making a strange scrunching noise anytime I turn the steering wheel either direction. I took my car in for an alignment and they told me I needed to replace several parts. I replaced my right front hub bearing assembly and both lower control arms and the lower ball joints and the front stabalizer bar. I thought this would fix the problem. However, it did not. And so i checked the steering fluid it was low. So I filled it up to full. The noise continues. A couple ways to describe the sound would be a haunted house door creek or rubber friction. Has anyone experienced this sound and if so could you point me in the right repair job direction?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM

I assume the struts are tight and the spring pads were still good? Also could be that your steering shaft needs lubrication but they normally make a clunk and you feel it in the steering wheel.

Did you tell the place that replaced all your FE parts about the noise before they did the work they should at least tell you what it is...

Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM

I should clarify the struts I replaced the entire strut assembly with pre-compressed springs. I also did all the repair work with a friend of course. But yeah there is no clunking feel to the steering wheel it steers normally just makes that noise and doesn't sound pleasant. So I guess I'll have to try this and see what happens:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/si...reasing-33173/

Last edited by silverodo12345; 12-12-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: to add the link for steering shaft greasing.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM

Well to update this thread in case anyone stumbles on it. The sound described above haunted house door creek or the sound of rubbing rubber. When I pulled my intermediate steering shaft out I examined it and did not like what I saw. It hadn't been lubricated for so long that the inside plastic sheath rubbed off and I thought that was the culprit to the sound. So I decided to completely replace the part. No auto stores carried the part I had to order it online. Got the part replaced it, this one is beefier and comes pre-lubricated. Popped it in started the car up pulled out of the drive way and the sound continues disappointingly. So at this point i have no earthly idea i will have to take it to a certified mechanic now to determine cause. Once i finally find it out I'll post how this was resolved.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That Suck's that it still pops Hope you find out what it is..

Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

Sounds like the strut bearings were either replaced incorrectly or not replaced at all.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Heres something that just came to mind....

You mentioned how it was lo on power steering fluid...Question is:
How long has it been Lo? Possibly the power steering pump could have been damaged....Causeing it to momentarily lock up...Thus the belt is makeing the noise when you turn the wheel?

Whens the lst time you had it greased? (lubed)... I think there should be a good number of zerk fitting on the steering assembly....

Depending on the mileage on the vehicle..You might even consider checking the "RACK" thouroughly...

Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 AM

Actually I'm with PacerSS on this one the issue only started after I replaced my old struts with the Monro quick strut assembly. Upon further inspection It really looks to be the case and both strut hubs too. As though I received faulty parts. Luckily if they are the culprit I got a 1 Year manufacture warranty. They should be easily replaced at no cost except for the labor I'll have to undergo. Today I'm taking my car to a mechanic to 100 % confirm this before I go through all that mess.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 AM

To finalize this thread. PacerSS was correct the rubbing sound issue was confirmed by the mechanic that the issue is with faulty parts I received the Monro Quick Strut Assembly. I don't believe that when they were putting the assembly together that they were using quality Strut hub bearings. If you experience the noise shortly after replacing your front struts this is most likely the cause. You can easily see the problem too if you open up the hood and look at the top of the struts where they are mounted. There are discs and they move around if they don't look centered then the part is damaged. Luckily I kept my old struts to replace them for now as I wait for the parts to be swapped out for good ones through my warranty. One thing to also note is that if your struts are showing these signs don't bother getting an alignment as the camber is consistently changing due to this problem according to what the mechanic told me. they also mention that Monro quick strut assembly may not have been the best choice of parts. Suggested KYB quick strut instead. Although it's too late for me. Thanks to all that helped me on this it has been appreciated.

Last edited by silverodo12345; 01-09-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Wait, did I win anything? lol Glad you got it figured out.